Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has already been asked but everytime I go to look for it I get distracted and end up forgetting my original intent.

I'm just curious what everyone had in their UC birth kits. I specify UC cause I know that they tend to be different than what a midwife or doula assisted birth kit might contain. TIA

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
It really just depends on what you would like for convenience and comfort, because you really don't need anything special. For my birth I made use of a lot of pillows and cushions and blankets (to create a nest to birth in) and used several towels for clean-up.

If you decide to bring in a special birthing tub, you'll probably want a plastic tarp to protect the floor from spills, a new hose, and an attachment for your faucet (try it out beforehand to make sure it fits!)

I had my husband grab a bowl from the kitchen for the placenta, and later I double-bagged it in plastic baggies. We cut the cord with my hair-cutting scissors (the sharpest ones I have) which had been sterilized, and tied it with a sterilized white shoelace (we sterilized both by boiling them for about 10 minutes.)

I thought about getting some cinnamon tincture or shepherd's purse for bleeding, but in the end I felt I was not enough at risk to bother about, and that I would swallow a bit of placenta if I needed to.

Candles and lighter, camera and film.

For our first UC I had a thermometer and a bulb syringe, but this time felt both were unnecessary.

Fetoscope, but didn't use it during the labor.

I had music and aromatherapy ready, but ended up really not wanting either.

For after the birth:

It was handy to have lots of receiving blankets in the beginning, because baby clothes are so cumbersome (and I think not very comfortable for the baby.) Baby hats, baby socks. Diapers, of course, lots and lots, and a good unscented detergent.

Olive oil for coating baby's bum, keeps the meconium from sticking.

Hand towels or cloth diapers for soaking up extra milk in the first weeks of breastfeeding.

I used terrycloth washcloths at first for the lochia, then switched to homemade cloth pads, but eventually switched to disposable pads because I seemed to be having an allergic reaction to the cloth pads (still not sure what that was about, maybe not washing them hot enough, or maybe it was residual detergent?)

Hydrogen peroxide is good for getting blood out of fabric. Some people like to have cold packs or a heating pad for sore muscles/perineum, ditto sitz bath.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.