Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have been looking through the forum to find all the info I am looking for so I apologize if it's been asked a million times before! I suffer from migranes and I am starting to get a blind spot from staring at the monitor too long.
I am trying to find as much information on all these things I keep hearing about during the hospital stay such as RhoGAM shot, the eye drops, that shot picotin (sp?) what kinds of other stuff are they going to try to give me or inject me or my baby with? Is there a website or book where I can weigh out the pros and cons? Or maybe a book?
I haven't even taken tylenol or midol in 12 years, I was in the emergency room a week ago from dehydration from the throwing up from a migraine episode I had, and they were trying to force me to take vicodin!
I was laying there puking and in pain, plus my preg symptoms on top of that, and I am having to argue with a rude doctor who wouldn't give up. My BF had to snap at him that I said I didn't want vicodin just the IV and he rolled his eyes and made a rude commentand left! Not once did he even come within 5 feet of my bed. He acted like I had some contagious disease.
I don't want to be going through that when I am in labor. I want it to be a good experience. I have my first appt with OB next week and want to make sure I can make an informed decision whether I am going to stay with her or find someone else. She was already a little weird when i told her I didn't want prescription meds for migrane. she gave me the *funny* look.

ALSO, my insurance doesn't cover midwives, just certified nurse midwife at a clinic I hear has a good reputation, what's the difference between a CM and a CNM?

Thanks
Viv

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Lots of questions here, I will do my best. I am a doula and childbirth educator for a busy prenatal clinic and work with CNM's. CNM's have their RN first and then specialized midwifery training. CM's or lay midwives have less medical background, a more natural philosophy, different but equal training and competency.

Migraines, ick, I have had a couple in my life. I sympathize with not wanting the meds, they are heavy and scary... I went the natural route and sought acupuncture and then therapy to get to the root of what was causing my head pain in the first place.. this is a long term program but was an excellent solution. I have only occ'l mild tension headaches now as opposed to daily crushing pain. I also adopted a daily exercise program and cleaned my diet up entirely, makes all the difference! Cliche but helpful. Pregnancy is a great time to do all that

As far a good books, I know a few that may help you:

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
The Well Pregnancy Book
Spiritual Midwifery
Heart and Hands

good luck to you

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
i'd definately interview the midwife covered by your insurance. i have a midwife (CNM), and she is wonderful. i wouldnt trust anyone else to deliver my babies. she was wonderful during the labor and birth of my daughter, and she did not try to push drugs on me or rush the labor or delivery. my midwife also doesnt do episiomoties nor does she use forcepts or the vacuum. the midwives at the hospital i delivered at have a c-section rate of 8.5% (vs the national avg of about 25%) and a nicu rate of about 0.5%.

how far along are you? you should start feeling better in a few weeks. i think i read on here that mint is a good natural remedy for morning sickness. (i never threw up or had traditional morning sickness, so i never tried it.) preggo pops are good too, from what i heard. i think you can get those online or at motherhood (the maternity clothes store in the malls).

when the baby is born, the regular things they do are a hepatitis b vaccine, a shot of vitamin k, and this eye goop called silver nitrate. (those are done in most states.) you can deny those, if you dont want them. there's been some discussions on the eye goop and vit k, along with hep b, in the vax forums.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I also recommend the Henci Goer book!!! Fantastic.

I also have a history of both migraines and cluster headaches. I'll take a migraine over a cluster anyday and labor over either one of them! For a "non-medicated" treatment- try caffeine. Oxygen therapy has also been shown to be very helpful. Most people, including me, tend to not get the migraines during pregnancy due to the hormonal changes. How far along are you? You may be in for some relief.

Get yourself into a good childbirth education class. NOT a hospital class but a real class. I, of course, recommend Bradley. I'm a Bradley teacher. All of what you are asking about are covered in a good Bradley class.

Congrats!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I, too, suffer from migraines, but haven't had any since I got pg. I did, however, have TERRIBLE m/s. The only thing that worked for me was to eat small amounts of bland food regularly (rice krispies, cherrios, fruit popsicles, applesauce, pasta with mild marinara) and to just let my body rest. It totally sucked to just lie around for four months, but at least the puking stopped.

Definitely take your time finding the provider who will deliver your child according to your wishes. Most insurance companies will allow you to get multiple opinions, so the visits should all be covered. In some cases, the providers may not charge you if you tell the person making the appointment that you are interviewing providers. That means that they will not do a urine sample, blood pressure, etc. They'll just meet with you in their office, most likely. Just be very clear that you are looking for a provider for pre-natal, L&D, and post-natal care and that this is not a typical office visit.

I will second the PP about Bradley classes. We have two more to go and have really learned a lot. The biggest thing I've taken away from them is that you are a consumer of medical care. You have the right to refuse various treatments. Just make sure you are with a provider with whom you can have open, honest, and frank conversations about your wishes. And ask lots of questions. Once you choose a provider, tour the facility in which you will give birth. Also, creating a birth plan is a great way to help communicate with the hospital staff once you go into labor.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks i will definently be picking up that book.
I just found out that the one place my insurance has that has CNMs, doesn't have them anymore! I have my insurance through the state, med -quest and they have a once a year option of switching insurance. That time of the year comes up in about 2 months, so I have some time to see if I can find better options under a different insurance.
I am about 10 weeks so I have time, but I will be starting up school again next month, plus we are moving in two months and I like to get things done early. Plus I don't want to start seeing someone this whole time just to switch last minute. I figured if i can do it now it will be more peace of mind and less to worry about later.
I apreciate the info thanks a bunch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.