Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am trying to pull together my birth supplies and I really would like to have some music I can rely on. I am looking for belly dance type of music, or meditative, world music. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I don't have suggestions for this type of music, but wanted to add a comment just to think about: you may not want music during labor after all. I thought I'd want music, and put some together, and when my DH asked me what I wanted to hear I said "absolutely nothing!" I was in laborland, and music would have (for me) broken that.

I'm sure for other mamas music may help, not hinder that.

Anyway I hope my comment was helpful and not unwanted. I just wanted to share that since my expectation of birth was a little different, and it turned out that I needed to concentrate more than I needed to relax (candles, music, etc.).

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
I always thought Peter Gabriel's Passion would be perfect to labor to. It's very lush, middle eastern sort of music, mostly instrumental. But I ended up wanting upbeat (dancing) music in early labor, and in late labor I wanted it QUIET.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
During most of my labor I really wasn't aware of sounds around me, but I do remember DH putting in a Ladysmith Black Mambazo CD which we had brought with us. It's a CD that has pleasant, relaxing associations for us.

Here's a link to a search of threads with "music" in the title in this forum:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...archid=3329054

·
Registered
336 Posts
Actually, I find most of Enya's music is wonderful to labor by, expecially Watermark with its water themes. My husband has played this for my first two labors.

I'd never thought of using Passion, I guess I've listened to it one too many times during conception to use it for labor!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts