Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to have a waterbirth this time. So I plan to buy an inflatable birth pool. Can I use a used garden hose, or do I need to buy a brand new food grade hose??

So far I think I'll need to buy:
Inflatable pool
Suction bulb
Comfrey leaves, and a few other herbs/tonics.. but which?
pads
movies my 4 year old hasn't seen
my camcorder
clean baby clothes
Sterile scissors
Something to tie the cord with
Something to birth the placenta into
Lots of towels
oil or something for my perineum

Anything else? I know I'm missing stuff. If I don't NEED it or can't find an alternative that doesn't cost anything, then I probably won't get it. I know there are other 'medical' type necessities I should have on hand in case of an emergency. Let me know!

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
I don't use a list anymore, but your list seems ok to me. You might want to add some quick meals to your list. Things that you don't have to cook or that you DH can toss together real quick. During and after birth, you are not going to want to get in the kitchen and do much cooking.

And the hose can be any hose, just make sure it is clean. Scissors can be steralized with alcohol (if they have plastic handles) or boiled if they are all metal, so any good scissory you have should work.

And the cord can be tied off with dental floss (which is supose to already be sterile), or you could use any string that you have soaked in alcohol, or a cord clam (if you desire one).

Don't forget the baby diapers! And don't worry about a bunch of "newborn" diapers, unless your baby is really small, they usually only fit for a very short time. Stock up on size 1s and just keep one or two packs of newborns.

One thing that I find good it to buy my self some new undies (this is a great excuse!). I use my old ones after birth, then toss them. Or if you prefer "sexy" types, buy some plain old briefs for pp period.

Don't forget the tapes for the camcorder (we forgot once). And make sure the battery is charged and ready to go.

A good uterine toner is Red Raspberry Leaf Tea. I drink it through out my pregnancy, but it is great for right after birth, and help to tone the uterus up quickly.

After all my years of labors and births, I have dwindled my list to very little of nothing. I use what is around my house for the most part. Just make sure I have my pads and baby's diapers.

If you are wanting to make your own birth certificate (we do this, then you will need a blank "New Baby" card, something to weigh and measure baby with, and ink pad(if you want foot prints). We always make our own birth certificate (we also register and get one from the state, but ours is more specail). We have anyone that was a witness sign it (it also makes this a legal document if two witnesses sign it) and date it. We write in the card all the specifics and put the foot prints (if you want this, you will need a larger size card).

·
Registered
359 Posts
My opinion on the pool, is that I wouldn't use a garden hose. Too many toxins. *shudder*
We really couldn't afford the food grade hose so we are just going to use a bucket to fill the pool. Sure, it'll take longer, but it's way cheaper, and we don't have to pay for the food grade hose.

If you do use a hose, I strongly recomend getting the food grade one.

When it comes to supplies, just get what you need to feel comfortable. Some people need more supplies, just for their own comfort mentally.
As far as I understand, the only things you need are something to cut the cord, something to tie the cord (I hear embroidery floss works well) and something to soak up the mess. (towels, sheets or chux, etc.)

I haven't had my baby yet (anytime now *YAY*) but most of my supplies were for my house, not me. I got lots of chux pads, and medical, sheet/tarp things, and stuff like that. I just want to make sure that there is not a huge mess on my floor. I just want to be able to throw it all in a trash bag, and make the mess go away.
I got a perri bottle, and medical scissors (they were only like $4.00), cord clamps, and the kit came with gloves and gauze, but I am just going to put those in my first aid kit. I won't need them for the birth. Except maybe the gloves, my husband is a little germaphobic, and if I have poopies, I will want them removed. I know the gloves will make him feel better.

Anyway, you really don't need a whole lot, but some people want things to make them feel better, like the gloves for my husband, and the chux for me, it's mental need not physical need.
Good luck

~Moose

·
Registered
183 Posts
I didn't use a pool... I just used my tub. I purchased a suction bulb, but never used it! I used a cheep plastic mixing bowl that I hated and once the placenta was in it... we just tossed the whole thing. I tossed all my towels because I didn't have an empty washing machine... and they were all my old ragged ones from college! I didn't use any oil because I was in my tub and afraid of getting slippery and falling.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I used prefold diapers instead of lots of towels. I had preemie, infant and premium sized ones. i used them for chux pads, for cleaning, as post partum pads, and for diapers! Truly multi use.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Cool idea Hayes!

We purchased a birth kit from InHisHands (for our 2004 birth) I wound up using the chux for changing pads later and took a bunch of them to work (i used to work with old people)

and used NOTHING but a $2.99 plastic sheet from Wal Mart.

I like your list, it covers all the basics + a few what if's.

The only thing that would be a real necessity is the towels. You can use them for everything. Cord doen't need to be cut and I've never had a baby suctioned...we didn't even have a bulb last time
(In a pinch I would have just sucked out nose and mouth myself) the other kids had long since stolen the bulbs to use as water"guns" in the yard.

Something I thought was meaningful to me was purchasing a cord scissors. We have used them for 3 kids now. they were like $1-$2.

I hope I get to use them for my grandbabies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts