Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now baby A is breech and baby B is head down. I'm hoping A turns it around in the next few weeks before they run out of room but then I started thinking about birth order. They assign A/B labels to these kids bc of the way they implant inside my body but what if baby B drops into my pelvis first when it's show time? Then would that kid become baby A and the second child, who was baby A this whole time, become baby B?

Is this even possible or am I just clinging, in vain, to my hope for a natural delivery? In the case of a natural delivery, does baby A always come out first?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Nope, totally possible for Baby B to come first (in which case, yes, that baby becomes Baby A). The designation actually comes from who's closest to your cervix because that's generally who comes out first. So it's totally possible for Baby A to move and Baby B to come first. I know there is at least one MDC Mama who's twins did that during birth. My own two were wrassling around in there for the last few weeks and we thought several times Ben might get down ahead of her. In the end, Claire came first (breech) and he flipped head down and followed her out 35 minutes later. Stinker came posterior just to be more difficult than his sister. Things haven't changed much around here.

·
Registered
874 Posts
It's completely normal for Baby B to come first sometimes. So try not to worry too much.

For me, I don't have a designated A & B, they've moved too much and the u/s tech is clueless. They're so close in size with a fused placenta that typically she just puts that one is superior and one is inferior based on position at that particular u/s.

So in my case, I'm just hoping that one of these babies puts their head where it is supposed to be. If they do, I'm golden! And, I'm also clinging to natural delivery as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Mine were exactly like yours. Baby A was breech, and baby B was vertex. Baby A flipped to vertex at 37 weeks, and while she was flipping, B slid down so her head was engaged and became Baby A.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My Twin A (from the time of the 19ish week ultrasound) moved from head down to scrunched up breech and Twin B stretched out and was headdown, well engaged, from about 28 weeks. Twin B was born first (they kept calling her Twin B to match up with ultrasounds) and Twin A came second.

Once the daughter who would be born first got her head down low, they both stayed put.

I think there is still lots of time for them to move, though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback mommas. We have a peri appt tomorrow, weather permitting, and I was going to ask the doc but we've gotten so much snow I don't think we'll be able to make our appt.

I am carrying these kids so high and out in front that I'm hopeful that A, who is very high up, will have the room to turn around or let B settle down into my pelvis first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.