Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had intended on a home waterbirth up until very recently. Now I will be laboring at home as long as possible and then transferring to the hospital with my midwives for the actual birth.
I purchased a pool, same one I used last time, and loved. I haven't taken it out of the box yet. I'm wondering if anyone has used a pool just to labour in?
The last time I had to get out of the water as things weren't moving along. So I actually gave birth on my bed.
I know that they say not to enter the pool until you are quite far along, but would it actually hinder any progress if I used it as a pain management tool earlier on?

·
Registered
331 Posts
It can. IME I would have to get out and labor elsewhere until things had progressed almost to transition.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It can, but I got in and out a couple times and it was helpful enough that I didn't care if it made things go a bit more slowly for a while. It did what it was meant to do- make me comfortable.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I did early labour outside the pool bc it took forever to fill bc we were in a small cabin with a tiny hot water tank. By the time it filled i was probably quite far along (mw didn't make it until after the birth) and the timing was perfect. I laboured in the pool for about an hour, maybe a bit longer, then baby was born in the pool. It was amazing!! My doula was like "pick up the baby, pick up the baby" (I was in major birth brain and a bit clued out), and i was like "where, where", looking around in front of me for the baby, and she was like "there" and pointed behind me, and i turned around, and there was my beautiful baby, floating at the bottom of the pool. I fished her out instinctively (i.e. very quickly) and that was that. The pool definitely helped with the pain. And i had almost no tearing and i think that's cuz everything was very moisturized. So yeah, i would say do early labour outside the pool, then as soon as it starts to get intense, jump in! I actually did early labour on a yoga ball, bouncing a bit to get baby in place, maybe it helped, the birth was easy. My first birth, that's another story...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts