Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a study that was done over thirty years ago by Dr. Bertil Jacobson in Sweden. I have referred to it many times and it bares a second and third look. The study is a double blind, scientific study of births that involve trauma and later suicide in the adult child. It is called imprinting.

I read about this study for the first time during my pregnancy in 1985 in Omni magazine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC28715/

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've recently started to learn about birth trauma and it's exactly the reason I want the birth of my child to be on my terms. Not in a cold, harsh hospital environment where time is money, but at home for me personally. The mother feels more at ease in her well known surroundings with familiar smells and so the baby will be more relaxed also. No doctor trying to speed things up and trying to do things unnaturally...
That's my idea, at least.

·
Registered
24,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've recently started to learn about birth trauma and it's exactly the reason I want the birth of my child to be on my terms. Not in a cold, harsh hospital environment where time is money, but at home for me personally. The mother feels more at ease in her well known surroundings with familiar smells and so the baby will be more relaxed also. No doctor trying to speed things up and trying to do things unnaturally...
That's my idea, at least.

Dr Meyer Eisenstein wrote a book 30 years ago about homebirth called the HomeCourt Advantage. Remember that a woman is queen in her own home, whereas in a hospital, a woman is a patient.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My sister-in-law is actually a midwife, and she opened my eyes to the beauty of waterbirth. I am planning to do that when I deliver my first-born in December.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts