Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jackson was born in September, but I'm just now sharing his birth story. I wrote it shortly after he was born but needed to let it sit awhile before sharing it.

I got up to go to the bathroom at 3 a.m. on 9/19 when I experienced my first contraction. It seemed to have three separate peaks and with the last peak, I felt some pressure in my bottom. At the time, I thought that the pressure meant back labor. I had a twinge of blood too, so I suspected that this was the beginning. I went back to bed and had another intense contraction about 7 minutes later. It was very difficult to lie in bed during this contraction, so I got back out of bed and waited for the next one to hit. It came in 5 minutes. The pressure was building in my bottom, I had a definite bloody show, and I felt the need to take off my pajamas. This contraction was even more intense and difficult to handle, so I decided to wake up James.

James quickly jumped out of bed and asked what he could do to help. He was a bit surprised when the next contraction hit less than 5 minutes from the last one and I was pacing the house saying not very nice words. I could not stand still during these contractions! I was so confused and unsure about where I was in labor. If things were already this intense, how in the world was I going to make it. I was having a lot of doubt.

James decided to fill the bathtub, since soaking in the warm water helped me so much during labor the first time around. I got in the tub and absolutely could not stay in that tiny space with the contractions. I also felt like I wanted to push, ah-ha, that's what that pressure in my bottom meant! James asked me if he should call the midwife, and I said YES!

So, James calls the birth center and surprisingly one of the midwives answer the phone (there was another couple there that had been laboring for over 24 hours). He says that I've been in labor less than an hour, contractions are on top of each other, and that I want to push. Her response was how far away are you to the birth center (10 minutes) and to get me there ASAP!

I was still feeling doubtful and thinking that I was doing a terrible job handling this labor. I was afraid of going to the birth center so soon and feared that I would be only be minimally dilated when I was checked.

James called our friend to meet us at the birth center and then woke up Alex and strapped him in his carseat before he came back inside for me. The contractions were right on top of each other. I was on the toilet when he came back inside, when it felt like my water broke. It was a fairly small amount and was clear, so he grabbed a towel and threw his robe over my shoulders and guided me outside towards the car. The outside air hit me and I looked up at all the bright stars in the dark sky and felt relaxed and at peace for a moment. It was enough to inspire me to get into the car to go have this baby.

The contractions slowed down a little bit in the car and seemed to be less intense. I soon realized that the reason that they seemed less intense and further apart was because I was pushing with them. I wasn't trying to push, but I couldn't help it, my body was doing it all by itself. I told James as much at the halfway point, and then told him to run the red light we were stopped at in the middle of campus.

We made it to the birth center at 4:12 a.m. As I started to open the door to the birthing suite, another contraction hit and I hit the floor. One of our midwives opened the door in the middle of the contraction and helped me to a birthing room after the contraction ended while James got Alex out of the car and settled in.

Once in the birthing room, the midwives asked if I could give them a urine sample. I half smiled and said, "No way!" One of them then checked me to see where I was at. She announced that I was 10 cm and fully effaced and instructed me to push with the next contraction. I was shocked. As I pushed with the next contraction, they measured the baby's heart rate with a Doptone and found it to be lower than desired during the contractions and put an oxygen mask on me. One of the midwives went out to the living room area and told James to get in the birthing room now because I was about to have the baby. Luckily, our friend showed up right at that moment to take care of Alex.

The baby's heart rate continued to decelerate during contractions (though the oxygen helped a great deal) and so the midwives really put the pressure on me to "get this baby out as quickly as possible and push with everything in me." They kept stimulating the baby's head with their fingers, which really pissed me off. I kept telling them to stop, but they wouldn't. The midwife also popped my bag of water that had resealed on the way to the birth center. I yelled, "No," that I didn't want it ruptured, and she did it anyway to further stimulate the baby.

They had me switch positions from all fours to the side-lying position, which I hated! I felt like I was pushing up-side-down, but I didn't want to move anymore. So I pushed while lying on my left side, which was more effective for me than being on all fours. The only problem and that nobody was helping me to keep my right leg up. I had to keep asking for someone to help me hold up my leg. I kept telling myself that the more I pushed, the sooner I'd be holding my baby and labor would be over with.

So finally, I pushed the head out. The baby was crying as soon as his head was over my perineum. I reached down and felt his head before the next push, which made him even angrier. With this push, it felt like the midwife yanked the baby's shoulders out of my body and with this, my perineum ripped. She stopped at the baby's belly button so James could finish helping him out, only the baby was so slippery from the olive oil that the midwives put on my perineum to prevent tearing that James couldn't get a grasp on him, so the midwife had to do it.

Jackson Eugene was placed on my belly after less than two hours of labor at 4:53 a.m. in a complete screaming fit. He was beautiful! The midwife clamped his cord once it stopped pulsing (I checked to make sure before it was cut) and handed the scissors to James for him to cut the cord. I tried to nurse Jackson, but he wasn't ready to eat yet, so he just nuzzled. The midwives were anxious for me to deliver my placenta so they had me push and one of the midwives tugged on the cord and out it came 5 minutes after the baby. I was bleeding more than they liked, so they asked to give me a shot of Pitocin, which I agreed to. The midwife then stitched up my second-degree tear. After gently checking my fundus and being satisfied with it, the midwives left James and me alone to bond with our new son.

James brought Alex in to meet his little brother after 45-60 minutes, and Alex was more interested in watching movies in the living room than cuddling with us, which is understandable.

As a side note, the other couple that was at the birth center transferred to the hospital to have their labor augmented after hearing Jackson's cries after birth.

We sent our friend out to get breakfast around 7-8. I ate a delicious white chocolate and raspberry scone and drank the best fresh squeezed orange juice. Jackson had his newborn exam, hearing test, and was weighed. He weighed 8 pounds 1 ounce and was 20.5 inches long.

I took a leisurely soak in the huge tub at the birth center before leaving for home around 11 that morning. I felt great! (There are pics in my siggy of us shortly after Jackson's birth)

·
Registered
213 Posts
wow-what a story! I got so frustrated reading about all that your midwives did to you. And felt sorry for that other couple-that's so disheartening when you've been struggling for so long to have that baby...to have another woman pop in and deliver in just a few hours! But luck you!!!

thanks for sharing! Guess I need to go ahead and post Ben's, I've been "sitting" on it as well.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
It sounds like you had one heck of a quick birth and quite a ride.
I don't know what the heart tones were, and they do usually drop when you are pushing. But I have seen and was grateful for a doc stimulating a baby who's heart tones had dropped to very low like below 50 and not great recovery-- but the baby would respond to stimulus so this was a sign of some good brain function in the baby and that the baby was well at the time because it was responding. and birth was eminent. I also think that there are 2 things that could be true about the bag- 1 the first break was higher up or#2 that the first break was only through 1 layer.I don't think that healing/resealing happened in less than 1/2hr. So did she use a device to break the bag or was it the rubbing that broke the bag?
I think that you should give these midwives some feedback. I tend to wait a minute to orient before I am doing much but in your case there wasn't much time- but I am hearing you wanted to be treated differently and you should tell them so. There was a UC birth story recently where the woman's husband did things she wasn't thinking of and wasn't prepared for ultimately jumping in and moving her in the end she was grateful for the intervention but she had a bad reaction to it at the time- did you read that story?
I know that I probably would have done some things differently at your birth but you may not have been pleased with what I was doing either- there wasn't really any time to adjust- to anything.
How are things going now? thank you for sharing your story

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story! What a beautiful, beautiful family. You did great! I also got kind of frustrated, sounds like the MW's were a little more intrusive then you would have liked.
Sounds like everything turned out great though, and he is a beautiful baby.

Congrats!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Wow, lucky you to have such a quick birth- almost had an UC! Sounds like everything worked out very well despite some aspects not being ideal. Your labor sounds so, so, so much like mine- except we were 45 mins. away from the birth center, not 10!

congratulations!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your kind words. I finally feel at peace with the experience. I tried to see things from my midwife's perspective, and that helped. It also helped to have someone else understand my frustrations with the birth. My dh doesn't understand why I had mixed feelings and that in itself has been frustrating.

In response to your question mwherbs, the midwife used an amniohook to break my bag of water.

Ironically, with the birth of the first son, my labor lasted for 23 hours, so I was so not expecting this quick of a labor this time around.

We're doing great. Jackson is a wonderfully happy and sleepy baby. He took to bf-ing like a pro and is growing much too quickly. I am truly blessed with my two boys!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story Pam! You did great.
I definitely can read your frustration with your midwives in your words (and I would feel the same way in your shoes). I'm glad you are now at peace with your birth and enjoying life with your 2 boys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.