Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby boy turns 1 year old tomorrow!

I'm making him a carrot/pineapple cake from Whole Foods For The Whole Family LLL International Cookbook and I'm not sure what kind of oil to buy. I need to go shopping in 2.5 hours so I need help quick.

I'm almost out of the last of the canola oil and don't plan to buy anymore of it ever, but I don't know what else to use that won't mess with the flavor of the cake. I have some coconut oil (It's Spectrum brand and I know how much most of you seem to hate the flavor of it. Would it be yucky?), or I could buy applesauce to replace some of the oil and just use up the last of the canola oil. If I do that how much applesauce and how much oil do I use? The recipe calls for 3/4 c oil. Thanks!

Oh, for future reference, can I use coconut oil in equal proportions when using it to replace other oils in baking recipes? Do I need to melt it first?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I think coconut in a carrot/pineapple cake would be delicious. If you worry about the taste, however, you can use a more refined coconut oil.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The only coconut oil they sell in my grocery store is the Spectrum brand and I have to bake this cake tomorrow. That means I can't order any and expect it to arrive in time. Maybe I'll buy enough carrots and pineapple for 2 cakes and go ahead and try it with the Spectrum coconut oil today. If we like it I can go ahead and make one for the party and have extra if it's so good the guests gobble the other one up. I assume I need to melt the coconut oil before mixing it in?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts