Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did/will you make your dc 1st birthday cake? the time is just around the corner
and need to start planning. I will have a "regular" cake for everyone else (sugar and more sugar) but i want ds to have something different.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
We had a "regular" grocery store cake for everyone else, and I made the "eggless sugarless carrot cake" from the Whole Foods for the Whole Family LLL cookbook. Instead of dates (only because I was out of them) I used a tropical dried fruit mix I had (which worked out really well b/c we had a Luau theme for DS's party.) It did have a little bit of sugar, but not much when all was said and done. I frosted it with plain old whipped heavy cream. DS had already been eating some dairy for a while so the frosting wasn't a big deal, I just didn't want him on the major sugar high that regular cake would give him! (He did have a couple of teeeeeeny bites of my cake though, while he was eating his own cake.) The LLL cake was a hit b/c we had 2 diabetics and a lo-carber who couldn't/didn't want to eat the regular cake.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My son turned one in July, and with all the lovely fruits in season, I made him a "cake" out of a pile of fruit (cherries, blueberries, strawberries) and stuck a candle in a strawberry. He loved it! There is a picture of it on this page: http://my.stratos.net/~midwife/vacation2006.html
My theory is to not give him sugar till he's old enough to ask for it. So far, so good...

·
Registered
429 Posts
I put a plop of yogurt in a dessert cup, slid 4 little graham cracker rectangles along the sides, sprinkled a few strawberry slices w/ a whole strawberry in the middle. A candle was in the whole strawberry. DD loved it!

·
Registered
350 Posts
When we were little my mom would make a corn bread "pie" in a cast iron skillet and stick candles in that. It was festive but with a minimum of sugar. We had this for our first 3 birthdays or something like that. I wasn't even allowed to have a cookei until I was like 8 and I had one at a Christmas party for the first time. We did have carob brownies whenw e were little but ti was made with applesauce to sweeten it and i remember it wasn't really very sweet. Anyway...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.