Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to cook a birthday dinner for my 11yr old dd and several of her friends and am getting a bit anxious about this. I am looking for suggestions on what to feed a crowd of kids (no dietary restrictions that I aware of except one child doesn't eat meat). Should I make a couple things to choose from? Make a meal or a bunch of appetizers?

I really don't want to resort to ordering pizzas and junk food...
help.gif

·
Premium Member
45,396 Posts
We always have for birthday dinners what the birthday child wants. In our case, dd's 11th birthday party on Saturday? Hotdogs over a campfire, with a veggie platter, followed by ice cream cake and smores.

Birthday person choosing all the food is a big deal here.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well salmon burgers and french fries it is. That's easy and what a relief to have a plan. I will cut up some veggies and have cake for dessert put out some chips and juice. Ok feeling better about it all.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my dd chose salmon burgers, my dh makes them and freezes them(and if you like salmon they are delicious). I will also have beef, chicken and veggie burgers so we are having a build your own burger party.

I am going to (try)make rhubarb juice today and I have club soda and blueberry juice for drinks. Do I need to serve pop or kool aid at this age? I have noticed that pop is offered at almost all parties...

Strawberry Shortcake for dessert.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you want, try making juice concentrates and diluting them with carbonated water or ginger ale instead of pop. The actual pop is up to you- I don't feel the need to serve pop at our parties, but that is an individual thing

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it went over super well. All the kids(6) tried the burgers and all but one liked them but she had also eaten before she got here. I didn't make french fries. I just did the veggie plate and chips. I had blueberry juice and club soda and I made a couple of 4L jugs of kool aid using 3/4 the amount of sugar and adding extra water, and they loved that. I decided on the ice cream cake thing too. For late night snack we had watermelon and popcorn with peppermint tea ( it was a cool night and the kids had gone in the pool).

Mommy212 I agree they don't need pop at parties, they don't need Kool Aid either but I was trying to offer something fun and not give them caffeine. The peppermint tea was meant to be calming...it kind of worked...I went right to sleep.

Irishmommy, I love a weiner roast! Hope your party was fun!

·
Premium Member
45,396 Posts
I'm glad you had fun. Ours were good too. I figured 1 potato, 2 corn, 2 hot dogs per person. I overestimated the first two, underestimated the hot dogs, so dh only had one, I had none (no loss) and it balanced out. Kids had a blast, and I heard a couple of "I wish we could stay longer" comments. And now, it's 7:12. Birthday girl is in bed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.