Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is about to turn 2 and we are planning a party to celebrate it.<br>
How do you handle presents for such a young child? Do you give them all at once, or choose a few and spread the rest over the week?<br>
DS will be getting a toy + book from us, 1-2 toys from my ILs (already got a toy from DH's grand-mother) and bike from my grandma.<br>
We can expect at least 2-3 more presents (I am hoping some will be more in the order of gift-cards, but its not a tradition in our culture, so all could end up toys as well).<br><br>
Thanks

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I'd have him open them all at once.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It depends on your child's nature- do they like to rip the paper off, look at the present then move on to the next one, or do they take their time opening it and playing with that present first?<br>
If it is the former I would give them all at once, if not the latter.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
If the people who are giving the gifts are going to be there, they will want to see your ds open them. So then you need to do them all at once, but if the gifts are coming in the mail or something, you could take your time opening them

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
We did it as people came in and handed them to us. We also let the other older kids help, as ds didn't quite get the concept. That way whomever gave the gift got to see us open it. But our party was more of an open house dealie than a set time thing. We did it from 2 to 6 with cake at 4, and I only took RSVPs for cake. I also made an Amazon wishlist and included that with a note about "your presence is all the present we need, but if you would like to bring DS a gift, please keep in mind the recent recalls of chinese goods. take a look at our wishlist to see some great wooden toys!"

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess my main concern here is that DS will be overhelmed by the number of gifts. He never received more than 3 at once. Also we generally screen/wash toys before giving them to him to make sure they are safe, appropriate, and clean (ie, coming from stores where lots of people could have touched the toy)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
For my DD"s party, I just left it up to her. She opened the big gift from me earlier in the day, just to be special. Then we had an evening party just with dessert. It was her great aunts and uncles, and some cousins. There were only a few presents, but she wanted to open them. I let the other kids help too. I had already told everyone that if she was getting overwhelmed, we would open the rest of the presents the next day. She had a great time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts