Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I want to get an exercise/birthing ball for our homebirth. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get one for a decent price (we're on a budget!) Also, I'm 5'6''....should I get a 55cm or a 65cm? Does it make a difference? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I bought mine from the DONA boutique. It is puncture proof (most exercise balls from regular stores are not) and very heavy duty. It is easily inflatable and it is easy to create the amount of tension/air you want in it. You use a typical bicycle tire pump to inflate it. It cost $25.

Based on the women I've worked with, I would definitely recommend that you get a 65 cm, based on your height. 55's are pretty small! 65 cm is a good, average size. I am 5'10.5" and I should really have a 75, but I have a 65 since I use it with my clients.

I'm not sure if I can post the link to the DONA boutique- just google DONA and their boutique has a birth ball category.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am a plus-sized mama and not ashamed to admit I wouldn't get anywhere near the thing during my birthing classes.

I did, however, LOVE to lay down over it with the ball under my chest and above my tummy. That felt wonderful

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I am also very plus sized and sit on mine all the time. It helps with the sciatica. I used it a LOT during DS's birth--took it to the hospital with me. It just sinks a little lower for me, that's all. They have a 300lb weight limit, at least.

I've been through several since DS loved to bounce on it as a baby but my cat thought it was the coolest toy. The "GoFit" brand seems to be the most sturdy IMO, and it is not puncture PROOF but is burst-proof (i.e. it won't explode if it gets a hole in it, just slowly deflate) I also have the 65cm one even though I'm only 5'4". I sat on the 55cm one at the store and it was just too small. I got mine at sport chalet for $25.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I got mine at Walmart, and it came with a foot pump (and a handy tape to measure when it was fully inflated) - it was about $15, I think. I don't believe it says it's burst proof, but it's very sturdy and besides me sitting on it a lot, my kids have been playing with it a ton. I think it would take quite a lot to pop it!

I'm about 5'6.5" and mine is the 65cm ball - it's perfect for sitting, very comfortable height.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.