Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo....just curious, now....who's taking classes, and what kind are they??

If you've already got a little one to chase after, are you going to take birthing classes again? (I paid for them with my 2nd pregnancy and ended up feeling like that was a waste)

What methods are avaliable in your area? Hypnobirthing, Bradley, the "hospital standard" class?
umm...what else is everyone interested in??

Also, anyone started/planning to start going to La Leche League meetings yet??
: A good friend of mine is the LLLLeader here, but I haven't been yet
:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
DH and I have very briefly discussed it, but he's basically leaving it up to me, or so it seems. I would love to be able to go to a Bradley class, but they aren't offered in my area.
: But, we got a list of classes offered in our area from the MW last week and I have been trying to check out web sites etc to see what thier philosophies are. I've already ruled out one class... they spend 3hrs of thier 9 hours of class talking about hospital interventions, we're planning on a natural home birth so that would just be a waste of 3 hours. Sure, let me know what the interventions are and when they may be necessary, but 3 HOURS!?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
As I sd in the other post I'm going to do Bradley, I think. With my 1st I did Lamaze but I think it was more along the lines of Bradley b/c I wasn't taught how to do the heeehee hee stuff. I was taught how to relax through the contractions. W/ 2nd DD we didn't do anything, we thought we were good, (9yrs later?!?!). This time I want to be in control like I was with my 1st not out of control like the 2nd. I'll also have a doula.

I can't wait to hear what everyone else is doing.

Thanks Krystal for starting this.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I wouldn't mind taking childbirth courses because I'm totally freaked out about not being ready for the big day but they all seem either cheesy or whimsical. I'm a pretty matter-of-fact, get-to-the-point kinda person. And what's with the Bradley pregnancy diet? Not vegan and totally gross ("3 pats of butter").

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I loved Bradley (and the diet was written in the 50-70s for the most part - your teacher should help you up date, sub the meat, etc -- mine did). Bradley made a HUGE difference for us and our confidence and our ability to work as a team and I swear it got me through. We will do a refresher of Bradley.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'll be refreshing my brain with the Hypnobabies home study course--no actual class this time around, though I did find it helpful last time I think it would be a waste of time and money for #2. But the hypnosis techniques I do need to brush up on.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I have never taken a childbirth class, and I don't think that I will this time either. Basically that is money that I can't justify spending since I have done this before.

On that note however, I will be reading a few books and incorporating what I hear from others into my own experience when the time comes. This worked well for me last time, and I believe that I did very well when compared to my other 2 births.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
: it sounds like a CB class might be nice, but i doubt they even offer anything that A: i'd like or B: is affordable
so no class for us.

LLL will have to suffice!

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Just and FYI: some, lots really, teachers will barter and offer lower rates and such. We traded for our classes, no money exchanged hands at all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
We took the hospital classes (while I was stuck there for 3 weeks) and then we took Bradley classes with my first child. I found the Bradley classes very helpful! We signed up to do refresher Bradley classes with my second, but finding the time and childcare for my toddler was difficult. So we just reread the books and materials. This time, I've been thinking about trying a hypnobabies home study. I've done really well and had smooth, intervention-free births the first 2 times so I'm not sure if I NEED anything else or not. I'm confident in my ability to birth this baby. DH and I are trying to make that decision. I did daily guided meditations with my second from a CD I'd bought and I loved that downtime with the baby. I'm thinking the hypnobabies home study would make me take some time out of my busy schedule to focus on the baby.

Anyways, as a FTM, I found the Bradley classes invaluable.

Good luck!
Erin
#3 EDD 5/3/07

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
DH and I have very briefly discussed it, but he's basically leaving it up to me, or so it seems.
Same with us. I'd love to do a birthing from within class, but none in our area. There is a hypnobirthing class beginning in January, which we'll most likely do. This is our first baby, so I feel like we should do SOMETHING, just to have some tools in our kit, and I've heard partners play a role in hypnobirthing. anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm so excited there is a Birthing From Within childbirth preparation class here! We signed up right away. I wanted to take one last time but it would have been a 3 hour drive for us. So we took a Bradley class. It was OK- I like his analogy to animals, but I am not convinced that husbands make the best coaches. I think birth is a womans place.

I practically got kicked out of my birthing class when I suggested that the goal should not be to speed up labor! I talked about the prostaglandins of labor and their role in helping the lungs get ready for air, and how the breasts get the final hormonal clue to prepare colostrum and these things take time. They (including teacher) could not appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
This may come off as slef righteous or soemthing...so forgive me.
I wont take classes simply b/c I am always at births and with preggo mamas.
We also have sh**ty options here.
ETA: On the Lamaze thing...they got ris of that crazy breathing b/c it is just that" crazy and ridiculous and will make you pass out.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaberd View Post
I'm so excited there is a Birthing From Within childbirth preparation class here! We signed up right away. I wanted to take one last time but it would have been a 3 hour drive for us. So we took a Bradley class. It was OK- I like his analogy to animals, but I am not convinced that husbands make the best coaches. I think birth is a womans place.
I think it really depends on the husband. I have high hopes for my DH.... maybe I'll turn out to be wrong. He's so supportive with everything else, I can't see how he wouldn't be supportive during birth, and the right kind of supportive too.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
we took bradley with our first & i found it most helpful for my husband. not that he learned how to be my "coach" but simply that he learned the stages of labor & what to expect. i think most women do what they do naturally (i didn't remember one thing about "bradley" in the middle of my labors! i moved how i wanted & positioned myself however it felt best). i did nothing with my second. this time around i'm hoping to take a hypnobirthing class just because i've heard such wonderful things....especially that it translates into other areas of your life even after childbirth.

·
Registered
892 Posts
i am all for learning all that you can and being prepared! (if its your first)

i have heard that taking classes//and//or//reading up on birthing can make a big difference in your birth, how mentally ready you are for the whole thing makes all the difference in the outcome.

knowledge is power!!!

ps but ITA with the poster who said she is a "get to the point" kind of gal, and turned off by the "magical" stuff, MEE TOO! but i am just going to adjust whatever i learn in class to suit ME. like i said, no roses opening, instead, i will imagine surfing a giant wave, winning the Tour De France or being Xena Warrior Princess

pps i have said this before but i am taking a local hypnobirthing class. also have a doula who will probably help me get ready. i think that's it for me!

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I took a birthing class with my first.

IMO they are useless and I wont be taking any more.

When labor starts all of that you "learned" goes out the window.

I talk to my mw about this and said she said it happens with most moms.

This is my 4th child I think I know exactly what going to happen.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I have never taken a childbirth class before but I think I will this time around because I am thinking of becoming a childbirth educator and I need to see what all they do (or dont do for that matter)

I am mostly interested in Bradley type and Hypnobirthing, I probably will do a combined class.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.