Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you or havent you attended a birthing class? I never have, and this will be my first baby. I don't feel the need to attend a class, but want to make sure it's okay not to. Giving birth is something that has been done for hundreds of years and I just don't feel the need. I feel like I can handle it , and it's natural. What happens will happen, my body will know what to do.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
For my first I didn't do anything but read lot's of books - I did pretty good, but had a really long rough transition phase (12 hours with a stuck baby). Second time, I wanted to be more prepared to handle labor, so I studied hypnosis through the Hypnobabies home study course - it made a world of difference. I enjoyed labor much, much more.

Kind of like sex - there are a few things I wish someone would have told me beforehand. I would have enjoyed the first time more with a little information.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
This is my first, also, and I will not be taking any classes. I don't trust much in this world - my body (and its natural instincts) is one of the few things I do. I do not want to cloud my confidence or excitement by taking a "birthing class". From what I have heard from others, they are oftentimes quite demeaning, even to more "mainstream" mothers. (This may be a local thing, but I somehow doubt it.)

This recent thread on UC and the Bradley method may be of interest to you: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=497183

·
Registered
185 Posts
My two sons were born via UC and I've never taken a birthing class. I just read some books, read some UC birthstories, joined the cbirth group on Yahoo and DIDN'T watch any of those silly birthing shows on TV. I figured everything will happen as it should.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
We've had UP/UCs with both of our children and never attended a birthing class. We did research birth extensively prior to becoming pregnant the first time - which led us to believe that UC is the safest way to have a baby. I connected with my body and baby and listened.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I've never attended a birthing class. I've also never attended a class on how to have sex. These are generally things (tht go had in hand) that I personally feel should be left to instinct, not instructed or having other's views imposed upon them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Alot of birth classes(hospital sponsored) talk alot about how important intervention is, and that you should be a good little patient, and do what your doctor tells you. So they are basically a bunch of lies, and nonsense to get their money. I also stay away from all those stupid birth shows on tv. I used to watch baby story, but that was before I learned the real truth about birth. I really wish they had a show about UP/UC stories and call it freebirth stories.

Does hypnobirthing classes do they support homebirth either midwife attended or unassisted?

Birthing from within is a good class it goes along with that whole UC mentality.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think it's a good idea to familiarize yourself (and anyone else who will be at your birth) with the birth process since this is your first baby. But birth classes are really unnecessary, IMHO. My first was UC also, and I can't see how a birth class would have helped me any. I read lots of birth stories, I think it helps to see all the variations of normal, but I say go with your instincts!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bluefish
Kind of like sex - there are a few things I wish someone would have told me beforehand. I would have enjoyed the first time more with a little information.
Lol! I have to say that this is true... but it depends if you want to learn these things ahead of time or learn them yourself in the midst of it... some people like to learn in advance, others prefer to learn by themselves.

I like knowing in advance though.
My first labor was almost exactly like 2bluefish's (12 hour transition phase that was my idea of h*ll) - and I wish I'd known some things (AND, I had already taken a 12w Bradley course) at that point. Being around birth, in birth and with birth the past few years has taught me a lot that I don't think I would know otherwise. I think there are some books you can read and some birth courses are not useless (I liked mine), even if you throw out the stuff you don't want. It's all a matter of what you're comfortable with.

I think looking back that the most important thing I could have had was a real trust in my body, and no fear - but really, it's my personal opinion that this is quite hard to come by in labor no matter how you feel prior. So someone who believed it for me when I needed a boost would have helped me over the humps when I doubted and was scared.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I took Bradley with my first, and I teach it (kind of) now. There is a lot about Bradley I don't like and I've somewhat modified it for my personality. My students are *all* hospital birthers so I'm reaching people who really need the information. The last 2 classes I've taught have really been injected with my own beliefs and "flavor" and my c-section rate among my students plummeted from over 35% to just over 20%, and I haven't had a single medicated birth in either class (2 students left to give birth, but they rock and I have total faith in them). I think hospital birthers can benefit greatly from Bradley IF it's taught in a somewhat modified form. I don't think a class that strictly follows the outline is going to be as successful. I do a LOT of stuff with facing your fears, trusting your body, listening to your instincts. I don't spend much time on "techniques" for either relaxation or especially for pushing. I use the workbook mostly as a reference for them, and don't teach out of it much. I got a great compliment from one of my students this class, who said he and his wife know a lot more than other people they talk to who've taken Bradley and he was wondering if all teachers taught the same thing.

Anyway...if someone called me planning a homebirth I would certainly teach them, but I would wonder about the value of the class for them. I don't think I would feel comfortable recommending Bradley for a UCer. I think anyone who does either doesn't understand Bradley or doesn't understand UC. JMO. I think it's good for a UCer to have a deep understanding of the physiology of labor and birth, but Bradley also has a huge focus on communications with your birth team and all the various interventions you will face and have to fight against most likely. Not really crucial information for a UCer IMO.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BirthFree
Lol! I have to say that this is true... but it depends if you want to learn these things ahead of time or learn them yourself in the midst of it... some people like to learn in advance, others prefer to learn by themselves.
LOL, yes, I am the type that likes to be prepared. I wanted to enjoy my first time having sex and having a baby - I did not enjoy myself either time.
But with practice I've gotten better at both

Hypnobabies is very supportive of homebirth - there are somethings directed to hospital birthers, because alot of people have hospital births, but homebirth is definately not discouraged. Pretty much all intervention is discouraged unless truly, truly neccessary and all the dangers of intervention are outlined. But bottom line, it provides tools - very effective tools - for handling labor. I've done it with the tools and without the tools, and it suits me better to have the tools. But it was important to me to be smiling at 8 cm
I'm just like that. I don't want to be in pain. I don't like pain. If it can be done painlessly, I don't understand why anyone would choose pain. But that's just me

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
With my first I took the classes at the birthing center that I went to... they were actually really cool... there were three classes... two for labour (positions, hormones, why natural labour is better etc) and the last was taking car of baby and breastfeeding...
For a first birth having not really found outside of the mainstream info I really enjoyed the classes... but didn't feel the need at all for baby #2....
If I would have found this site back then or others like it I would not have went at all...

I would have never gone to a hospital class though... I couldn't believe the things that my friends told me about... and now... I see first hand how bad they are because I teach the one on breastfeeding every few weeks and hear what they learned in the preceding classes... scary....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.