Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a copy in the mail yesterday and i was up til midnight reading.

WHAT AN AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!

if you have read it you know what i mean.

if you have not, get it now!!!!

wowie!

i think it's already made a difference

deb

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I borrowed Birthing from Within from my midwife... but I think there are more than one book with the same title by different authors. I haven't read the one I have yet, have been flipping through the names book (to no avail) and reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (or something like that). The Birthing From Within that I have is by Inglis and Horrowitz. Is that the same one?

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I don't know why this book didn't appeal to me at all. Most everyone I know loves it but I didn't find it helpful. I went back to read it again with this pg but found all her talk on pain coping techniques destructive. I think she's setting the reader up to believe their labor will be painful.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, it is the one by horowitz and england....

RE: pain, i like how she is not sugar-coating it, but not scaring me, either.

the quote has already ingrained itself in my head:

"labor is hard work, it hurts, and you can do it"

i also loved the stories about the amish woman going thru labor while cooking, painting a chair, etc, ("oh, there's another contraction, time to stretch, ok, back to painting") ...and the instructions they give women at the hospital in new mexico--

"when you feel labor begin, bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies. only when the cookies start to burn (because you are getting spacey) should you come to the hospital"

time to stock up on chocolate chips and flour

·
Registered
109 Posts
I love this book too. It is so refreshing compared to all the books that list all the side effects of pregnancy (high blood pressure, varicose veins, stretch marks). BFW actually gives you a mindset that you can use. I recommend it to all my pregnant friends.

When I read it 4 years ago, I underlined a ton and did alot of drawings to represent her ideas. Then I made a cheat sheet of the drawings and phrases/mantras I liked so I could look at it during labour. I never looked at it once! Nor do I think I remembered any of the mantras! But the book really helped me get in the right frame of mind regarding birth.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tofutti View Post
"labor is hard work, it hurts, and you can do it"
I would take out the "it hurts" part and ingrain the rest, personally. It doesn't have to hurt.

Quote:
i also loved the stories about the amish woman going thru labor while cooking, painting a chair, etc, ("oh, there's another contraction, time to stretch, ok, back to painting")
This is what my labour was like... I made a batch of chilli, DH and I went grocery shopping, I watched a nature documentary while on my exercise ball... it was all very... like just a normal day.

I really liked "Spiritual Midwifery" by Ina May Gaskin... I found that one really inspiring.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ha ha that is so funny -- mamaberd!

the cheat sheet

ex-stasis -- man, i want to believe you, with every fiber of my being, but....logically, physically, HOW CAN IT NOT!? (i hope i am 100% wrong
)

it's the first thing i have seen to be so positive but real. also i like the drawings and lack of 'women in labor' photos. ((i have issues, i guess. those labor photos always freak me out))

i am doing hypnobirthing and this seems along those lines with visualizations etc. so i can get a head start and decide what my visuals will be (for example i am not a "rose opening" kind of gal, but surfing, or going down a waterslide....that i can get with)

deb

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I only had pain with my first 2 (m/c's) after that I've had no pain at all. The only reason I even knew I was in labor was that I had a weird feeling of anxiety and decided to check myself. The best analogy I've read so far was about pooping. Pooping doesn't hurt does it? Not if your healthy anyway. Butts were made for pooping vaginas and uteri were made for birthing. Doesn't mean every woman on the face of the earth will have a painless birth but I think it can be a result of good health and the belief that it is possible. And so I really dislike England's use of the word 'pain'. Other than that creating birth art did eventually facilitate my recovery from my birthrape experience and so I think the book may have helped me there.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I was disappointed by the book, actually. I thought there was too much space devoted to her student's art and what they got out of it and how they were looking at their experiences, their hopes, etc. I couldn't relate to any of that part. Maybe because art is not a medium through which I like to express myself. While I thought there were good snippets, I was disappointed with much of it.

I strangely love Ina May's guide to childbirth, because although Ina May does some weird things that I don't really like, it includes a lot of positive birth stories, information about positions, interventions, and interesting info on amazingly skilled lay midwives from poor rural areas, who had great outcomes in high risk populations. It's not a course to prepare for birth, but it is inspirational, I think, and I plan to use hypnobabaies as my "course" to prepare for labor.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is hypnobirthing and hypnobabies the same?

i am taking a 6 week course for hypnobirthing here.

deb

·
Registered
557 Posts
tofutti - I did hypnobirthing with my son and I LOVED it. We too had a six week course and I remember those classes with such fond memories! We are definitely going to take the class again. The biggest advice that I can give you is to try using the hypno tapes in situations that are not that relaxing! I only ever used them right before I went to bed and most of the time they put me to sleep. But, I had the baby at the hospital with nurses and machines and noise around and it was difficult to relax fully because I wanted my little hypnobirthing sanctuary. I wish I had listened to them in rush hour traffic or something.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tofutti View Post
is hypnobirthing and hypnobabies the same?

i am taking a 6 week course for hypnobirthing here.

deb
I think they're slightly different but with the same general principles. I've heard of women having success with both. I've also heard that the hypnobabies CDs can be a good supplement for hypnobirthers, once you're no longer in the class, but I don't really know for sure! I did the hypnobabies home study course, so it was all on my own. The home study is like a complete childbirth education kit, plus hypnosis tools. I thought it was very thorough and it worked really well for me.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I love BFW. I wouldn't necesarily sketch to prep for birth either, but I like reading the book. And for me, birth WAS painful. But in a world-falling-away, working hard on something painful. So her mantra about labor being hard, sometimes painful work-for-a-reason is really nice for me. It not saying "My Gawd! That is the most horrendous thing EVER! Why would anyone WANT to do that without drugs? Actually just get knocked out and cut open, K? Spare yourself."

Gardening can be slightly painful, too. No one ever said you won't get blisters, but it's worth it.

Hell, so is weight lifting.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've never read the book but I think I'm going to pick it up and check it out. I need something to make me feel empowered and that I CAN do this w/out drugs. Last birth I had drugs and I DO NOT want to do that again, it was HORRIBLE. My 1st birth was drug free and wonderful so thats what I want again.

Any other suggestions on books that are good? Also what does everyone think about the Bradely method? DH & I are thinking of this but I'd love some feedback on it.

Thanks ladies!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
That was the first book I read, er, skimmed. Husband Coached Childbirth by dr. Bradley. I found it to be an inspiration to a FTM who has heard horror stories a lot about birthing in general (but who also has a mother and MIL who have great things to say about birth, including "It's hard work but you can do it!".
)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
:rubs hands together gleefully:
i am running my friend/midwife/herbalist's store today and tomorrow, and so I can REEEEEEAAAAAD to my heart's content!

I also find Ina May's Spiritual Midwifery *very* inspiring and comforting. Birthing From Within, I've skimmed before, but i was also a bit put-off by the heavy emphasis on pain. Maybe I'll read that today

Don't get me wrong, labor (and especially transition/pushing) is an unbelievably *intense*experience, but I really couldn't call it painful. It's like, the sensation of not being able to sit still, this unfulfillable need to want to climb out of your body, or keep moving, or....something....like that. I almost felt like i was about to be able to fly. Not pain in my experience--Intensity.

Re: sketches as birth preperation: maybe it's just that I'm an artsy person, but this helped me very much. I was irrationally scared to have a baby with my first, and being able to draw helped me with identifying my fears as well as giving me a positive visualization to focus on. I still have this (imo!) great crayon sketch in blues and purples of a baby in utero--I did it when I was probably 6-7 months along, and fearing such things as birth defects, late miscarriage, etc etc. I drew a face profile and a foot with exactly five toes (LOL) to symbolize hope in perfection, and heavily shaded the rest as symbolism of the unknown.

this thread has got me curious about something else tho--birthing classes! maybe you don't need/want/think about them after you've already had two kids.....or maybe i'm just pathetically broke, lol! Birthing classes sound like a luxury to me, and one that i might not even want/need, at that!

new thread idea up-and-coming, hehehe

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
this thread has got me curious about something else tho--birthing classes! maybe you don't need/want/think about them after you've already had two kids.....or maybe i'm just pathetically broke, lol! Birthing classes sound like a luxury to me, and one that i might not even want/need, at that!
I plan to buy the hypnobabies do-it-yerself at home course. I think it is $135 which isn't cheap, but I assume it is less $$$ than taking a class. I am not doing a class b/c I work P/T and hate making commitments to be away bfrom DS in the evenings... so I never do!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I dont think I have read that book yet but I will check it out

I say Labor is painful, it was for me all 5 times and I expect it to be this time as well. I like being mentally prepared for pain and hurt so I am not caught off guard. I have managed 3 non medicated labors so far but certainly dont fault anyone for getting an epidural if she needs one.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I like Ina may guie to childbirth and I loved the Bradle method (got me through a 30+ hour loing labor including 12 hours of very intense, very slow to dialate, birthed a 9 pouond baby with a 'record' size head!) -- I think Bradley is espeecially great for women who really want or need to have a partner who is very involved in the labor, which I did

BFW is very much not my style either, but I think what appeals to different people in birthing is like in everything else - we all like and need very different things! I checked out several midwifes because of this, one was way to quiet for my taste, one was a little too clinical for me, and Marcy, who will be catching, was perfectly suited to me! I think birthing styles and classes are similar in this way, you gotta find what works for you

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Michelle-- my doula said that bradley is good but hypnobirthing is better, just in her opinion. that hypno. has kind of overtaken bradley in popularity, too.

not sure since i have no experience w/either, but it sounds like bradley is more clinical and way more intense (twice as long of a class) -- plus you are quite alert for it. (again i am kind of guessing here). but that might really appeal to some people, to know exactly whats up at all times.

hypno you are kind of in "another state of mind" which is what appeals to me!

deb

1 - 20 of 22 Posts