Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am trying to find info about my birthing options in or around Bloomfield, NJ. I am going to try checking out Mountainside and Clara Maas, those are the only leads I have. Has anyone given birth in either place? I do not have a car so travelling much further than public transport will take me is not practical. I am possibly considering homebirth but that is a slight possibility due to financial reasons and privacy issues(in an apt, no soundproofing at all).

Any info on my options for a non-interventionist, unmedicated childbirth are appreciated.

Thanks
Imaani

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I can suggest a birthing center in Englewood new jersey, My son was born there and it was wonderful. The name of the place is The Birthing Center...Lonnie is the director and she is a beautful supportive midwife.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elowing
Hello, I can suggest a birthing center in Englewood new jersey, My son was born there and it was wonderful. The name of the place is The Birthing Center...Lonnie is the director and she is a beautful supportive midwife.
Hi

I used to work at the CBC, and my 5 kids were born there...but unfortunately, it closed down about 3 years ago. It was a wonderful place to work, and birth.

Warm regards to all

Marla

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi,
We just moved from your area, lived there for 3 years. My daughter was born with Lonnie at the Childbirth Center. My son was born with the Midwives of Denville at St. Clare's Hospital but their offices are in Boonton. Avalon Midwives are at Mountainside and I have heard mixed things about them but they might be a really strong option. You might want to check with our pediatrician - Dr. Maria Yerovi. Her offices are in Bloomfield (off Broad Ave) and she has privileges at Mountainside. She may have some recommendations. And she is an incredible ped, if you happen to be looking for one!

Good luck,

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had my son with Lonnie as well, but didn't have a wonderful experience. You can PM me if you'd like more info. Though the Childbirth Center closed, she and her team now work out of Pascack. I'm now 8 weeks pregnant and have switched to Avalon in West Caldwell. I like them so far, but have only been there twice.

You may want to check out www.wisewomanbirthways.com. They are located in Bloomfield/Montclair and have a great resource link with midwives and doctors. Plus, they offer a ton of pre- and post-birth supportive services...I went to them for my Birthing from Within classes and just loved them.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I gave birth at Mountainside 4 1/2 years ago and used the midwives at Avalon. I was really happy with my birth experience. I had to be really clear about what I wanted because even the midwives offered to strip my membranes at an office visit, etc., but they always honored my wishes. At Mountainside, I did have nurses offer meds, but didn't bug me too much when I said no. I wound up having a completely intervention-free birth that I felt great about.

PM me if you have any questions.

Miriam

·
Registered
303 Posts
Snowb,
I LOVE the Midwives of Denville. Marla and Judy are amazing, caring, patient, loving women. I had a wonderful birth with them. I am still with them for well woman care. I switched to them mid-pregnancy. PM me if you want more details, but I recommend them highly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Avalon (Donna Roosa) delivered my son at Mountainside -- we're in Bloomfield too! I really like Avalon, although I agree, you have to be very straight with them about what you want and how you want the birth to be, otherwise they could lean toward mainstream practices, but if you're clear, they are very supportive of natural progression.

Mountainside... eh, it was okay, i wasn't there very long, I delivered within an hour of arrival and checked out the next day, but it was okay. I had a boy so they must have asked me every time they opened their mouth whether I wanted him circumcised (NO!), that was annoying. But all hospitals are that way I think.

Dr Maria Yerovi is also our ped. She is great.

http://www.avalonmidwives.com/index.html

·
Registered
303 Posts
Midwives of Denville! Their offices are in Boonton and they catch at St. Claire's in Denville. Not quite Essex County, right next door and SOOOOO worth the drive. And St. Claire's has a new birthing wing. They were getting birthing tubs, I do not know if they are in. Some links for you:

http://www.saintclares.org/services/MaternalChild/

www.midwivesofdenville.com

and in case you are looking for a doula or want other midwife recommendations (check their website under resources for midwives/doctors)
www.wisewomanbirthways.com

Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.