Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 13 month old was having a little morning boobie yesterday before we got out of bed, and I guess he either fell asleep or I moved funny, and he bit me. Like, blood. I put on a nursing sleep bra with a sposie nursing pad in it, and when it finally quit throbbing there was about a quarter sized blood stain in the pad. So I iced it and when I finally tried nursing on that side it hurt so bad I had tears welling up. It's a searing pain that runs all the way up my chest and neck to my eye. I was finally able to let him nurse for about 3 to 4 minutes a couple of times today, just to relieve the worst of the engorgement. . . I realize I'm setting myself up for l;wered supply, mastitis, and all sorts of horrible things, but I don't know what else to do besides ice and advil!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
to you mama that would be painful. I don't have experience but saw no one had replied and didn't want you to feel no one was listening. My thoughts are to keep it open to air as much as possible, start on the non bitten side first when babies sucking is stongest and when baby is done take some milk and rub on then let air dry. Hopefully it will be feeling better in a couple days. It isn't gaping is it maybe a stitch is needed? Good luck!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
With pain that severe I might see a hcp. My thoughts are to keep the wound moist with lanolin (if not allergic) and get something like this
http://www.heyyoubaby.com/ameda-brea..._store=default
so the air can circulate. You should be able to pick this up at Target or similar store. I agree with pp suggestion to nurse on the other side first. I don't think you are setting yourself up for lower supply, your other breast will make up for it and when the wound is healed you can go back to more balanced nursing. Of course keep nursing on the wounded breast when you can and if it seems engorged. Or perhaps use some hand expression on the wounded breast?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.