Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My almost 15 month old has begun to bite to latch on. My breasts are extremely sore - extremely.
Everytime he latches on, I have to curl my toes - he has taken me back to my first two weeks of nursing.

He really doesn't seem to be doing this out of any malicious intent. It merely is easier to 'grab' me and makes it more efficient for him.

Does any one have any tips on how I can discouraging this without any sort of chastisement?

Er. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ow, ow, ow...I remember this. Mine still does it as he falls asleep grinding his teeth, so I know how it hurts! When my son was biting me, I said "no teeth, sweetie, teeth hurt" and I'd tap my teeth and say "just use your open mouth" and I'd show him my wide open mouth. This seemed to help him understand, especially when I removed the breast (gently) from his mouth each time he used his teeth on me. I also slathered my nipples with Lansinoh between times. I hope this helps!
Bonnie

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My DD did this from the beginning. It wasn't a big deal until she got teeth on both the top and bottom. At that point I realized it needed to stop. What I did was as I was guiding the breast into her mouth I used my index finger (of the hand holding the breast) to hold her chin down. It was just enough to stop that initial chomp. I did this for a while and then the behavior stopped. DD was only probably 6-7 months at the time, so I couldn't really explain to her. Maybe at 15 months you could use some words, but I definitely think it helps to slow that jaw down on the initial latch. Hope that helps and good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts