Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My 8 and a 1/2 month old had a short period of biting while nursing when he first got two teeth about 6 weeks or more ago. I posted on here about it and got some good advice. People said that biting usually happens when they are not needing to nurse any more, and that they cannot bite and suck at the same time ( I think), and someone advised to push the nipple more into the babies mouth when you think they might bite.</p>
<p>So it was scary for a bit but eventually the biting thing eased way up, thank goodness. I started relaxing when nursing again.</p>
<p>then just yesterday and today I have been getting bit again! IT is so weird how I react- I find that I get all tensed up and anxious that I will get bitten when I nurse during these times. DS doesn't do it in a mean way at all!</p>
<p>The first period was when he first got his teeth. Then it mellowed out. Now it is picking up and I wonder if he is getting more teeth maybe?</p>
<p>the other factor is that I have been increasing solids in his diet a lot. and also water/juice. So he may not be as hungry as he used to be sometimes when I go to nurse him- so I think that is when he bites.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It scares me! It is painful- I try to relax and tell myself, just relax, even if he bites a little it is not that bad. but I don't relax! Anyway- any more advice on how to avoid biting? Do you think biting happens when they are full and at signs of biting the nursing session is over? I have been switiching breasts at the first bite, and then if it happens again once or twice I see if maybe he is done.</p>

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<p>I just searched this forum and found lots of other threads about this issue. It was sort of comforting to see that other people find it realy scary too!  It is because those baby teeth are sharp- and it really hurts! IT does make breastfeeding stressful though- I hate feeling tensed up while I am trying to nurse- and giving the baby lots of my nervous energy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Some people said to just stop when they bite (and then resume in a while)</p>
<p>I may try this. ugh! I hope this passes- I really enjoy breastfeeding but for this.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts