Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fun, spirited, 14 month old who has taken to really biting (mainly me) quite often lately. It's not a nursing thing... we worked that out (thankfully!) several months ago. And it's not a mad/tantrum thing. It's usually when he's silly/playful or affectionate. He'll hug and and take a chomp right out of my shoulder! Or he'll walk up behind me and wrap his arms around my legs and take a bite out of the back of my thigh. He was playing with my dad the other day, looking for his belly, giving kisses, and he took a bite right out of his belly! And he has 7 teeth... it hurts!<br>
I have said NO, that hurts, ouch, etc. repeatedly. I have tried the sad, ouch, that hurts mommy approach. And I have tried the stern, we don't bite people approach. He laughs at me. He bit my shoulder today, really hard, and I yelled (more than I meant to... it hurt!) "OUCH!" I told him that biting hurts mommy. I put him down. I was much more stern than I really ever am and he just laughed. I have tried giving him something that he can bite, it doesn't seem to make a difference!<br>
Any suggestions? I don't know how to handle this!!!<br>
And on the same line... he has taken to some pretty rough hitting/grabbing or pulling hair, etc.... It's when he's wound up and having fun, giggling, being silly... but it is too rough. If he did that with another child, it would hurt. I just take his hand and tell him he needs to be gentle and try to show him a gentle touch. But I'm not sure it's working. I don't know how firm to be or how to get the message across. And of course, I don't want to stifle his spirit. Again... he often laughs at me. Which concerns me. Should it concern me at this age?<br>
Help!<br>
Thank you!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was having a similar problem with my 14 month old. I got some good advice here and it seems to have worked. When he bites or attempts to bite, don't react verbally, simple either put him down if you're holding him or move away from him, without really acknowledging the biting. My ds was chasing me all over trying to bite me, sometimes I have to quite forcefully hold him away from me (without hurting him, of course) then I go and sit in another part of the room, often he comes right over to me, to try to bite me, but before he gets to me I get out a toy and distract him. I don't think he's bitten me for a week or so, so it's working.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts