Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I have read as many post as I can about biting but they all seem to be related to older babies. My daughter is 5.5 months old and has two bottom teeth. She nurses all the time, for food, for comfort, for something to do...any reason.</p>
<p>Now she is biting, I don't notice any real pattern, though it does happen more when she is fussy. Putting her down to teach her not to bite doesn't seem like an option since I am not sure she gets the message I am trying to convey since she is so young...any suggestions??</p>

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
<p>I think it will help being consistent with her.  DD was about that old when she started biting.  I was startled one time and screamed 'owww' and she really cried, but never bit me again.  So, it seems they can understand and change the behavior.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck.</p>

·
Registered
24 Posts
<p>My daughter did the same thing, at the same age as your DD. It began when she was teething, though. I bet she did it 5 or 6 times, each time I would either gently bring her into my breast so she was forced to open her mouth, or unlatch her, gently (but dramatically for effect) tell her "that hurt Mommy and makes her sad" and I would put her down and walk out of the room. Every time I did the latter she would laugh at me, so I didn't think she was getting it! Nonetheless, she quit. Now she is 9 months old with 2 teeth and others on the way.</p>
<p>I'm sure you have form down pat, considering you've been doing this for 5 1/2 months, but make sure her tongue is cupped and mimicing her bottom lip. She actually has to change form in order to be able to bite.</p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts