Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is teething (again) and keeps biting me really, really hard when nursing. He already has two bottom teeth, and it really HURTS when he bites! One of my nipples is bruised pretty badly, and hurts like heck. What can I do to help stop the biting? It is getting to the point of me being scared to nurse him.
I love nursing, but right now I am scared of being bitten and I'm sure he can sense how tense I am which is probably not helping the situation. The biting usually occurs once he is done eating and is just comfort nursing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? Especially on how to help me relax and not be so tense and scared of being bitten?

·
Registered
232 Posts
DS always did this each time he cut a new tooth and I find a sharp "no" followed by taking him off the breast curbed it pretty quickly -- until he got the next tooth.

FWIW, it is hard to relax when you know someone's going to bite your nipple!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did the same thing, I would tell him: No, that hurts mommie, and take him off for a few seconds. I did several times and it worked. Good luck.

·
Registered
922 Posts
check out www.kellymom.com for some really good tips. I had the same problem a few months ago, and it stopped once the teeth were in. I got a little break, and now, with 2 more teeth on the way, she's started again...BUT this time it's not nearly as bad. It gets better, hang in there.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The advice that I got was to pull DD into my breast when she bit down so that her nose would be plugged and she'd have to let go. I tried it, and did she ever not like not being able to breathe! (I should clarify, it was only for a second or two, nothing extreme.) I'd also say "No biting" at the same time. After about four or five times of her trying to bite and getting this response she was no longer interested in trying out her chompers on me.

She has had a couple of relapses (usually when more teeth came in) but one or two reminders sets her back on track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts