Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completely at a loss and don't know what to do. I have two girls - a just turned three year old, and a almost five year old. They get along fairly well most days. Today has NOT been one of those days.

Twice today, for no explicable reason, my three year old has bit her older sister- hard. Once this morning while I was getting ready, so I didn't see what precipitated it. I was furious. I had a serious talk with younger dd about how biting hurts, I was yelling and really didn't handle it well, but I didn't know what to do. Nothing like this has ever happened before. And then, just now while I was paying some bills online and the girls were watching a movie, my older dd came running out of the room to show me another, fresh set of bite marks that sisterhad left in her arm.

I have no idea how to handle this. I am so angry that she would do something so hurtful- we rarely, if ever, even have problems with hitting. My younger dd was crying, because she knew I was upset, and kept saying that she was sorry, but all I could say to her was "sorry doesn't make it all better." She'es in her room right now by herself, because I just don't know what else to do.

Help me mamas, I don't know how to handle this!

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacymom
I have no idea how to handle this. I am so angry that she would do something so hurtful- we rarely, if ever, even have problems with hitting. My younger dd was crying, because she knew I was upset, and kept saying that she was sorry, but all I could say to her was "sorry doesn't make it all better."
Ouch! If she can't say she's sorry, how can she make it better? She can't undo it. I would apologize to her for not letting her apologize. She clearly knows she hurt her sister.

I think biting is complex. I remember feeling flesh between my teeth when I was a child and BARELY being able to resist. I think kids get that meat in there, and before they even think about it they've chomped. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I would let her make it right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts