Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My 11 mo daughter won't stop biting me while nursing! I have tried stopping our sessions after calmly telling her "no biting. that hurts mama", STERNLY telling her "no biting" and even shrieking a few times when she caught me off guard! After an extremely rough night last night that ended up with me on the couch and my husband getting her back to sleep because she would not nurse, just bit me every time my nipple got to her mouth, I am at my wits end!! Any advice or encouragement would be welcome!!!</p>

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
<p>No help. But I'm going through the same thing! I started waiting til she was kinda drowsy and she even bites me in her sleep!</p>

·
Registered
275 Posts
<p>I'm sorry to say that my son bit for almost three months before he weaned, it was terrible! Some things that seemed to help were singing to him and holding his hand, squeezing the fingers to distract him; taking him off as soon as he bit (but then he would bite as soon as he was done) and nursing him when he was very tired. Some other moms on this thread have had success giving their babies something else to bite, like a teether and offering it as soon as they start biting, and saying not to bite Mommy. It was kind of getting better before he weaned, but I never really got a handle on it. My mom claims she flicked my ear the first time I bit and I never did it again, but that doesn't seem like a good solution to me. </p>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thanks mamas! We're trying to hang in there!! Wish LLL would call me back, I'm hoping they might have some advice :)</p>

·
Registered
490 Posts
<p>My DD bit a little between 10 mo and 11 mo but has stopped in the past few weeks. It seemed she was more likely to bite when she was having some teething pain and not getting quite the right type of soothing she was hoping for when nursing. If she bit me, I said "No, that hurts Mama", put the breast away, and put her down, with no further argument. She threw a fit 2 or 3 times but she learned very quickly. Whenever she seems "bitey", I offer her breastmilk popsicles or similar soothing methods for her gums/teeth and it definitely helps. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The one thing - try to hide your shock/surprise/anguish if she bites. This will only make her entertained/amused/intrigued and want to do it again.</p>

·
Registered
250 Posts
<p>I think I got about 3 serious bites, right around that age--second half of the first year.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>That whole advice about not reacting--HA! It never never worked for me. No way could I physically not react when I got bit in the nipple!!! So I reacted with a loud "OW" and immediately set my son down on the floor and stopped the nursing session. He always looked very surprised and upset and usually started crying, at which point I would pick him up and cuddle him, but not resume nursing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He only ever bit while teething, and only once he was finished drinking and just hanging out comfort sucking a little bit. So one thing that helped was figuring out when he was really done, and then moving to cuddling or some other activity. Other thing that helped was watching him like a hawk to make sure he had a full latch--he can't bit the nipple if the nipple is drawn all the way into the back of the mouth.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, make sure you treat the bites, and don't end up with thrush via the open wound. I WOH so I used neosporin in the mornings after I left the house (and olive oil on my pump horns that day), not sure if that's viable for you or not.</p>

·
Registered
749 Posts
<p>I have a four month old who just got his first tooth (SHARP!!) and is biting me at almost every nursing session. I've been saying OW and putting him down, but I don't want to have to wean him this early... too soon! </p>

·
Registered
76 Posts
<p>Just bumping this to see if any new idea are out there. My  12 mo old is biting me regularly and I am scared to nurse b/c I don't know when the bite will come (she is unpredictable about when it happens). I'm afraid we are headed toward weaning which would be terrible b/c I've loved it and she's loved it so much.</p>

·
Registered
69 Posts
My lo is 6 months old and just started biting a few weeks ago. She has 2 bottom teeth. She seems to bite down at the end of a nursing session, when she is tired, or if she is really hyper. What ive been trying is saying in a very soothing voice "gentle, no bite." I also watch to make sure she has her tongue over her teeth and actually wants to nurse. It seems to be helping because the few times I didnt pay attention while she was starting to nurse, I got bit, and as soon as I said "gentle, no bite" she slowed down and latched properly. Ive been *trying* not to yelp in pain, but holy cow do those teeth hurt! She did laugh once when I yelped so I def see the logic behind trying not to!<br><br>
ona side note, her new thing is trying to nurse while sitting up or crawling on top of me lol. I was so not prepared for all these things!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts