Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter was bitten by a hamster. Even the blood appeared, is it dangerous? Should we go to the doctor?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Depends... has the hamster been vaxxed for Hep B?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
:eyesroll

·
Registered
260 Posts
Never heard of anyone having a problem from a hamster bite. Treat it like any other minor animal bite - watch for infection, and teach the child about handling animals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been bitten by a mouse before. I cleaned the would with some hydrogen peroxide and it was able to heal on its own. I hope your daughter is okay now!

·
Registered
317 Posts
There's a resource that many people don't know about - the Minute Clinic at many CVS drug stores. They have a Nurse Practitioner on the premises and he/she is available for walk-in consultations. Not all CVS stores provide this service so you must google to find out if there's one near you.

I've gone there on three occasions for issues that needed attention but didn't warrant a trip to a primary care clinic. It's very reasonably priced and the Nurse Practitioner can diagnose and prescribe, including antibiotics.

You wouldn't go for a heart attack or anything that required major medical intervention, but the one in my town is just fabulous for stuff like this. I was treated at the Minute Clinic for a really persistant rash and on another occasion, I had my heart and lungs listened to and my oxygenation level checked. Was also treated for a remarkably painful swollen vein.

The Minute Clinic is a great resource and the one near me is much less expensive than the primary care center - and they do a better job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts