Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi, I have a 22 month old who has finally started adding vocabulary.  However, apart from "Mama" and "blue", none of his words are entire words.  Bald eagle is bl gul; red is rah; star is ar; water is wah; help is ulp; etcetera.  What expectations for clarity should I have at this point?  I'm thrilled he is now talking, but should he be able to be more understandable?  </p>

·
Registered
524 Posts
My DD said her first words (Mama, Dada, and her own name) at 22 months. Now, at age 4, she is a total chatterbox and people actually comment on her amazing vocabulary. No one who met her would ever guess she started later than other 4 year olds.<br><br>
Your DS is "ahead" of where she was a that age, so while I'm not an expert, I personally would not worry. At this age I think it's kids who don't understand things that are said to them who are cause for concern, not speech clarity.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You should have very little expectation for clarity. The fact that you understand him is great. Just keep pronouncing words correctly when you say them (don't mimic his pronunciation), and he will get better and better at mimicking you.<br><br>
My ds is 3yo, and I'm very sad because he has stopped talking like a baby. He says snow now, instead of 'tow'. And sneaky instead of teeky.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thanks!  It seems like I always have "something" to worry about...and I appreciate the reassurance.!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts