Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You would think by the third I would have this down pat.<br><br>
DD my oldest started on baby food at about 5 mos because everyone was telling me I should. She gagged frequently on the purees and up until the age of 4 she still disliked smooth things( pudding yogurt ect)<br>
She did much better with chunky food and loved 12 mo baby food from about 7 mos on. Table food with us by 9 mos.<br><br>
DS1 had no real interest in food until 10 mos or so even then ate no ammount of anything until closer to 18 mos. He went straight from nursing to everything we ate and still alot of nursing.<br><br>
DS2 is now 5 1/2 months<br>
For the past few weeks he has been really fussy ( unlke him)<br>
DH suggested maybe he wants food. I just dismissed him as DS1 was so late with food. He has been watching us eat intently for 2 mos now and reaching to try to grab our food for a couple of weeks.<br>
Lastnight we were at a friends house and she gave him an arrowroot cookie.<br>
he devoured the whole thing chewing and everything.<br>
For the first time in weeks he was happy for the whole rest of the evening.<br>
I am at a loss as to what kind of food to give him. He just seems to little to be having solid food.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think 5 1/2 months is close enough to the "minimum" 6 months that if he's met the other milestones/requirements (able to sit up on his own, 15lb and doubled birth weight, no tongue thrusting, etc.) then he should be fine to start solids. I did BLW with DS1 and intend to again. Great early foods were steamed broccoli florets, baked sweet potato wedges, steamed carrot sticks, toast, bananas, really anything that can be cut into "fry" shaped pieces so the baby can grab on easily. I found toast was a great vehicle for mushy stuff like hummus or mashed avocado. DS1 is the pickiest toddler but has always loved hummus - he started eating it on toast at around 7 months or sucking it off baby carrots.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has met all of those milestones except sitting on his own. He is close but is still a bit tippy if something catches his attention.<br>
He was born at 7lbs 6 oz and is now 18 lbs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts