Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br><br>
I was diagnosed with slight anemia a few months ago by my doctor. He never did anything for it and just said he was going to watch me and see what happens. I am in the process of getting a new doctor.<br><br>
But anyways, I have felt so tired and exhausted this past week...almost like I just can barely go and I read online where black strap molasses can help tremendously with anemia. One lady online said she took it and felt a difference within a few hours.<br><br>
I was curious if any of you can recommend the black strap molasses for tiredness and anemia? Does it really work? Do you any of you have any experience with it?<br><br>
I need to get something soon to feel better so I can take care of my family. All I feel like doing is laying around and doing nothing.<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
Kristy<br>
Mom to Rebecca (13) and David (3)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Blackstrap molasses helps with anemia but you only get something like 20% of your daily iron in a tablespoon so you need to do more than just that. Try the drippings from roasted red meat, lots of leafy green vegetables, and vitamin C with all iron foods. My doctor recommended a mixture of beet, carrot, and lemon juice; if you have a juicer that would be a good addition. I've also heard that horse meat has a lot of iron in it but I was never able to find out where to get a hold of that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your reply. I will try to get more of the foods you recommended in me each day. I am hoping something helps me soon. Again, thank you for your help.<br><br>
Kristy<br>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I drink a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses in water each day for my low levels. It doesn't upset my stomach. I also cook in iron pots, and try to take my iron with citrus and hours away from dairy (which interferes with absortion). I wouldn't say its a miraculous cure but its a good part of an iron-boosting plan.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My mother has anemia and though she takes a prescription I have looked into natrual remedies for it. If you drink milk with your meals it can inhibit iron absorbtion. Also, keep in mind that you can eat all the iron in the world and if your body just can't metabolize it doing so wont do you any good. Also, keep in mind that too much iron can clog up your bowels, so if you're getting a lot of it to up your levels you should keep an eye on your fiber intake as well to even things out.<br>
I say try the molasses and if it works for you that's great!

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
You really can't beat liver for iron.<br><br>
And b vitamins.<br><br>
Liver is a good 'pick me up' sorta food for me. When I can get myself to eat it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. All of these area great ideas and I am going to try to incorporate them into my diet. I hope to find something that works for me soon. I am tired of feeling tired all of the time.<br><br>
Kristy<br>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts