Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of discussion today about racism and I happened on this medical article.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/2007...src=RSS_PUBLIC

Basically the study participants were shown mock hiring recommendations from companies, in which a clearly underqualified individual was hired over an excellent candidate, along racial lines. In other words, the underqualified black candidate was hired when the boss was black, and the underqualifed white candidate was hired when the boss was white.

The study groups were then immediately given cognitive tests to assess their level of mental acuity.

The black study participants who had just seen the covertly racist hiring practices in the first part were adversely effected: distracted and unable to focus on the tests they were being given.

The white participants who had seen racism directed against white applicants during the first part weren't as effected. They didn't recognize it, so it seems. If the racism was made obvious to them: if the bosses' comments were something like "he's just a typical white prep school boy" THEN the white group became impaired in their test taking ability.

But the subtle racism that was so obvious and damaging to the black participants was lost on their white counterparts.

If you were able to follow all that. It's kind of convoluted.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thought was that when the white person saw the covert racism in a hiring documents he was given, his gut response was something like 'so there happened to be a black manager in that particular position on that particular day, and this guy got a break. Oh well'. It didn't have any ramifications for himself or his own future particularly. He shrugs and goes on to do fine on the cognitive testing.

But when the black participant saw company documents in which an outstanding black applicant was passed over, with no explanation, for a mediocre white applicant, his reaction was more along the lines of 'my god, how can this still be happening? Is there nothing that can be done about this? Is this going to happen to me?' He then sits for the cognitive testing with his head still swimming, wondering who these people were testing him and why didn't they see the flat out racist practices of this company they were profiling?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.