Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never once heard phrases like "common ground" and "working together" in the context of the vaccine debate. With an issue this polarizing, the notion seems laughably absurd. But what if I told you that I've found a way to accomplish just that?

Promoters of vaccine schedule compliance want safe and healthy children. It would seem rather unsettling, then, that the vaccines being given to these children keep failing to perform their job.

Promoters of vaccine choice, especially those who delay or decline one or more vaccines, want to be left alone. They're tired of getting blamed for product failure and want flexibility to make their own medical decisions.

So why isn't there a mutual effort to demand stronger and better performing products? It seems that a rather than frantically shifting those "herd immunity" goalposts and getting angry at others, common sense would dictate that we shift our efforts toward the product manufacturers. This way, that "herd immunity" threshold goes down in a way that keeps both parties from panicking.

Indeed, it seems like a Machiavellian marketing ploy to shift the blame for a weak product from product manufacturers to those who do not use the product. I'm actually baffled that so much of the American public is falling for it.

Do you think that stakeholders in the vaccine issue would benefit from demanding a new and improved product? Could a collaborative effort like this ameliorate much of the polarization by holding the right party accountable? And most of all, why do do I doubt that mainstream pro-vaxxers will get on board with this idea?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I love it. But, that would mean admitting that the vaccines aren't perfect, one size fits all, everything is fine, don't look behind the curtain, just do as your told, do you really think you're smarter than the doctor/Mark Zuckerberg/whoever, the science is settled....

And, many people can't do that. If they admit that vaccines are not perfect, than they are putting their children at risk by giving them the vaccines. But, wait, they're putting their child at risk by NOT giving the vaccines... I think people's head would explode.

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
Seems obvious. Find ways to improve the vaccines so that people who don't trust them aren't forced to comply. Effective vaccines would mean that it wasn't necessary to harass the tiny non-vaxing community.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
That's way too sensible a post, T.

Given the pertussis rates here, you'd think that'd be a no brainer...that the public and vaccine advocates would be continuously putting the word out there that they want a better product. But no, the vast majority of the articles in the media and comments online are targeted at the "anti-vaxxers" who are supposedly to blame for the limitations in the effectiveness of the pertussis vaccine.

·
Registered
18,823 Posts
It is as though Toyota were able to blame their brake failures on people who drive Volvos, or worst of all, on people who insist on riding public transportation.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the subject of blame-shifting, I'm reminded of those "shell shock" victims of WWI. Junk psychiatry simply dismissed them as having pre-existing mental illness.

Well, blaming the victim is also part of the Coincidence Disorder diagnosis. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...deaths-Shifting-blame/articleshow/8686201.cms

Doctors said that whenever a vaccine is administered, health professionals should have oxygen and anti-anphylaxis drugs within reach for inducing immunologic tolerance to avert complications. "These precautions are hardly taken," says Dr Ranganath.

"There are several reasons for the deaths. But they are certainly not related to vaccines. We are maintaining the cold chain perfectly," said Dr T Neerada, joint director, immunisation.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
You'd think everyone would be on board with that, but I think some people treat the issue more like how people treat the Superbowl, or World Series.

Not everyone is cut out to view vaccines as technology, pure and simple. Pretty much no technology is inherently good or bad, morally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts