Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day i felt what i thought was a pimple on my shoulder blade. i get minorly obsessed with such things and so kept futzing with it, trying to make it go away. it started bleeding. the next day, it was still bleeding. i finally got a look in the mirror and realized that what i was picking at was a birthmark (or mole... i don't understand the difference). it's gone, and now there's just a little scab.<br><br>
i know that bleeding birthmarks can't be good, but i don't know if it was bleeding just b/c i was picking at it or if it was doing something funky before and that's why i noticed it in the first place. is it possible to scratch off a normal birthmark? i don't have health insurance, and so don't want to go to the doctor to get it checked out if it's likely i just gouged my skin.<br><br>
it seems like a silly question, but should i go see someone about it now? or should i wait and see if it heals and if it still looks off go?<br><br>
tia

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had a slightly raised mole on my neck as a child and during high school, out of hatred for it, I picked it off. It took quite a bit of effort, but it did bleed profusely. It scabbed over afterward and never came back, and no signs of skin cancer or anything since.<br><br>
Likely, it's fine. But I wouldn't make a habit out of picking moles (or birthmarks, although I doubt it was a birthmark if you didn't notice it before). Just clean the area and leave it alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts