Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a detailed answer!

Is it more the amount of the blood vs. length of time lost that signals a hemmorhage, or continued bleeding at a steady speed... how exactly would you figure you were hemmorhaging?
Clots: what's normal, what's not? With my first I don't recall passing any clots but I really don't remember. I had a two day labour and I was kind of foggy by the end! I don't even remember what my lochia was like, except that it lasted a LONG time.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/thirdstg.html
This link is a great place to search for lots of answers. All I know is my experience. And from what I have experienced, I am anemic and a bleeder. I bled during labor, like a heavy period, but w/out clots. then after dd2 was born, I passed some major clots and bled all day. The bleeding did lessen over the following 24 hrs.
I was also a lovely shade of yellow.
I think I lost lots of blood there. But not enough for me to be super worried.
I think if you just don't feel right, and the blood doesn't stop flowing, there may be cause for alarm. (JUST MY OPINION)
I have read that if you take 2 cups of water and dye it dark red w/food coloring then toss it on a white sheet- you'll get an idea of just how much typical blood is lost during labor and birth. Not sure if it pertains to postpar.
Lots of super-knowledgable mamas her to add!

all my best

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I believe that is can be pretty hard to estimate blood loss when it's soaked into various towels, sheets, and pads and mixed with other fluids, etc. I'm sure midwives who see this everyday can judge more easily, but I think the best indicator is how you feel. What is too much blood loss for one person might be fine for another. I passed a couple large clots (fist-sized?) in the first 12 hours or so after my dd's birth, but I felt *great* and it didn't worry me. Beyond the immediate pp time, soaking more than one LARGE pad per hour would be considered too much. Again, it depends how you feel. When I had my m/c, I was only soaking one pad in 24 hours, but I felt so weak. I feel that was partially because I was emotionally out of it, but I was relieved when I finally passed the last piece of tissue/clot and my bleeding started to resolve.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
More than 2 cups is considered a hemmorhage, but a slow trickle can acutally be a bigger problem! (could be a torn blood vessel in the Vagina). you would feel light-headed and woosy, and at that point I would call someone in. You should feel normal if you haven't lost too much. I took a shower directly after both my homebirths, and had no problems. But have someone with you, just in case(in the bathroom, that is )

·
Registered
29 Posts
How about bleeding in early labor?
I have heard some women say they had a 'bloody show', something I have never had before, only blood streaked mucus...

Would blood before ctx or at the start be a cause of concern?
Is it normal? Say for example you go to the bathroom to discover bleeding, say 1/2 cup, would that be a reason to go to hospital?

Just wanting to know because if this did ever happen and I had to call a MW or hospital, I know what they are going to say.
:

TIA!

:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Honestly, 5arrows, I'm confused about that, too. I have heard the any significant amount of bleeding during labor often means placental abruption or previa. Yet I have read several UC birth stories during which the mom bled "like a period" more or less throughout labor and baby was born without problems. One story in particular I remember, even other UC moms from a freebirth group counseled the laboring mom to go to the hospital ASAP, since the blood must mean abruption or the like. The mom, however, felt strongly that everything was okay, and continued to labor and birth at home. I suppose the cause of the bleeding could have been a partial abruption that was not enough to compromise the baby, but I am not sure I would just want to wait something like that out. What other causes of bleeding are there other than the relatively light bleeding that sometimes occurs with dilation? I had "bloody show" with my 1st, but as you described, it was little more than blood-streaked mucous.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I have heard regarding bloody show is that if you're measuring in teaspoons, it's okay, but if you're measuring in cups, it's not.
The blood may look like a lot more all spread in with the gunk of your mucous plug, but if it was a TON you'd really notice it.

When I lost my mucous plug, I had maybe a few drops of blood! I was expecting a lot more! I really didn't have a 'bloody show' at all!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have heard a couple of women describe it as 'cervical bleeding'....
What does this mean? Just that the blood came 'out' of the cervix? Or that the actual cervix has torn in early labor?

I am not finding a whole lot of info on it. I have never had it before and is not something I anticipate, just would like to know in advance.
:

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
some cervixes are friable and women will bleed as they dilate
bleeding like a heavy period I have never in over 20 years seen in labor so I too would be suspicious of a marginal abruption-- I know that Sister Angela has said that she has had an abruption where only about 1/4 of the placenta was still attached and the baby was alright--no comment about the mom but my concern would be that she could easily be anemic

( my own experience of recent "heavy periods" has put me into considerable anemia)

·
Registered
849 Posts
this thread has got me to thinking.

I bled like a heavy period for 6-7 full weeks after DD was born (no clots though). Then a slower, like "period ending" flow for a couple of weeks after that. I was REALLY tired, and my back hurt tremendously but my doc didn't ask, and I didn't mention anything 'cos I thought it was normal....

I'm planning a homebirth this time around and I'd also like to know what is normal.

Anyone care to comment on whether mine was normal? Compared to some of your "2 day" flows, it doesn't sound normal!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lioralourie
this thread has got me to thinking.

I bled like a heavy period for 6-7 full weeks after DD was born (no clots though). Then a slower, like "period ending" flow for a couple of weeks after that. I was REALLY tired, and my back hurt tremendously but my doc didn't ask, and I didn't mention anything 'cos I thought it was normal....

I'm planning a homebirth this time around and I'd also like to know what is normal.

Anyone care to comment on whether mine was normal? Compared to some of your "2 day" flows, it doesn't sound normal!
Yes I think that your bleeding was too much. were you working out or doing alot of physical activity?
I would recommend eating some cooked or raw greens through out your pregnancy and postpartum to increase vitamin K and minerals - possibly a supplement like Floridex in addition

·
Registered
849 Posts
thank you mwherbs! No heavy physical activity, just the normal new mom stuff around the house. So you think I bled too much?

We live in China so there are a lot of green veges available here (some of them are pretty weird tasting, though, and/or have caused weird digestive issues for me and dh!) We do eat a largely vegan diet with lots of tofu, other veges like zucchini, mushrooms, onions, potatoes, tomatos,etc but not a lot of dark leafy greens.

Is something like baby bok choy good? Is once or twice a week adequate or is every day recommended, especially immediately pre/perinatal?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts