Mothering Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any plans for a party to welcome the new baby(ies)?<br>
It's my second pregnancy and we lived it up for baby #1. Some say no parties for consecutive children, but I beg to differ. Why not celebrate the coming little one? Any good recommendations?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
There is no reason not to celebrate your LO. I think what people find tacky is asking for gifts at the second+ shower. I thought it would be fun to ask people to come celebrate and bring a freezer meal for my 4th.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Oh, that is a great idea Jazzmin.<br><br>
I think because this is DH's 1st we will probably end up having a shower even though this is my second. His parents are ecstatic and we will be living with them for a couple months during this pregnancy. There are things we need for this little guy. Cloth diapers, moby wrap, night light for changing those in the middle of the night diapers, etc. Plus, this will be a winter baby and my last was a Spring baby.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It's our first, so my friend is going to throw me a baby shower in early November, we think. My other friend is due with baby # 2 , Oct., though, and I think I'll host a blessingway for her...though freezer meals would be a great idea to ask people to bring!!!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I don't like baby showers, but we're expecting #9, and we'll have a big meet the baby party a few weeks after birth. We've done it with all the kids, we usually cook up a big roast or brisket, and everyone brings a side. The kids can all run and play, and everyone gets a chance to meet the baby.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I would never ask for one, but since no one I know IRL reads here, I'll confide-- I am really, really hoping someone throws me a shower or mama blessing.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Okay, I feel like a freak, but...I really don't want a baby shower. This'll be my first baby (hopefully), and I am pretty sure I will get at least one and possibly two showers, but I just dread it. I feel like it'll be so awkward to be the center of attention like that. I'll be grateful for anything anybody does for me, of course, but I just feel weird about it. Am I totally alone?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Nora, I know how you feel. I only had one shower with DS and it was thrown by DH's work. I kept trying to convince them not to, but his boss insisted. It was held about 5 weeks after Aydin was born. We got so many nice things and I was really appreciative, but I feel exactly like you do about being the center of attention. All those people watching you and your reaction as you open gifts...*shudder* lol I felt the same way at DS's first birthday party when DH made me bite the bullet and do the opening of the presents in front of everyone.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just think of the baby blessing as being for the baby, and not you. Maybe that would help. I do agree that opening the gifts in front of everyone puts a girl on the spot. I've found that passing the gifts around the room for everyone to look at after you've opened them gives the guests something else to look at and keeps them more entertained when your face is hurting from smiling so much.<br>
Annettemarie, I hope they throw you a shower, too.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
My friends IRL are all really crunchy, so I'll have a Mother's Blessing rather than a shower, I think. Everyone is donating me stuff for the new baby -- and after five kids, I've finally realized you don't need much! All I really want is a new wrap or two, and I'll need a new seat for my now-2yo so she can stay RF.<br><br>
However, I think I'm going to have a big Mother's Blessing with everyone I know -- and then a smaller more intimate one with a few close friends.<br><br>
Last time I had a Mother's Blessing, we did wrist-binding, henna tattoos, and painted my belly cast.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
As with #1 and #2 we will have a 'meet the baby" party. I'd rather see folks I don't see very often after the baby is out - and it REALLY cuts down on the post-delivery visits.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I think *every* baby should be celebrated and welcomed by your community! As much as I also feel supremely awkward receiving and opening presents in front of a room full of people, you do get some useful things. But, the whole point, and the enjoyable part, is to be together with friends and family and to be excited, together, about a new little life.<br>
We managed to have two baby showers when I was pregnant with dd (#1). One with extended family and a few friends in the hoopla following my little sister's wedding, and another with just friends in our home town. Both were lovely, and I felt really blessed to have people who cared and wanted to organize these things.<br>
We live in a fairly new community now, and I would be surprised (though very pleasantly!) if there was any sort of baby shower organized this time around. We'll probably host a "meet the baby" gathering post-holidays.<br><br>
Annette - I think you could totally rationalize a shower! You're having TWINS!<br><br>
Nora and Lawmama - I hope you guys find yourselves and your babes being celebrated in some way, even if not via a traditional shower. This is a special thing our bodies are doing, and our babies are pretty special themselves!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Selkat, very well said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts