Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 yo dd has a spot on bum that is now about the size of a dime. It started out like a little red bump on Wed and I figured it was just irritation from an overnight diaper or from not cleaning up thoroughly from potty learning. but, slowly over the last few days, it has increased in size and the top layer of skin has peeled at the edges. The skin is reddish pink, not too angry-looking yet. She does say it hurts to touch it, but hasn't complained about during the day. I put a bandaid over last night as it is in the crease of her bum/top of leg thinking that it might just be her underwear or diaper irritating it and making it larger. However, it didn't seem to help and is actually larger than yesterday. I'm at a loss of what to do other than take her to the ped on Monday. Does this sound familiar to anyone?<br>
Thanks!<br>
Sarah

·
Registered
309 Posts
Similar experience, with similar symptoms turned out to be a staph infection...I would definitely get it c/o.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I second getting it checked out. My DD had something very similar to this. First they thought it was fungal, but then they swabbed it and it was staph. One round of oral abx and many weeks of topical and it is still kind of lingering. We're back to the ped on Monday to make sure we don't need round two of oral abx. Definitely worth a check!<br><br>
Best,<br>
Sharon

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, ladies. I'm concerned about staph too but didn't know how it presented. If it's not looking better by tomorrow evening, I'll take her in first thing Monday.<br><br>
Do you think it should be covered? She is still in diapers at night. I put a thick layer of diaper cream on it to protect it overnight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts