Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Let me start this off by stating we're very Waldorf-inspired, and also delayed academics here. For the kindergarten child would you recommend block or stick crayons? DD(5.5) has grip issues(still very much prefers the "fist grip"), despises any request of writing, and seems to draw/color very “lightly”, so I’m wondering which would be best for her.  I’ve tried researching this but am not coming up with much.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>TIA!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA: If we go with stick crayons should we still use traditional, or triangular , or are little bits of crayon best? And, does anyone have experience with Filia Oil crayons?</p>

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Honestly, if you could swing it, I would get both.<br><br>
I believe there is actually a bit of contraversy in Waldorf circles regarding this.<br><br>
My little ones felt less control when they used the blocks. Honestly, my older ones don't love them either. I have ordered a block coloring DVD from Little Flower Garden though.<br><br>
I think they had never seen blocks before and just didn't really get what they were for.<br><br>

·
Registered
796 Posts
<p>We have both blocks and sticks in all 24 colors for our kids. I prefer the blocks but they prefer the sticks. I feel they are more creative with the blocks - it's like eating veggies for some kids, it's good for them but they don't enjoy it as much as other foods. They like the sticks because they are able to draw more detail, but much less detail than with regular crayola crayons. My daughter was a 'fist grip' kid until she was almost six and still reverts to it on occasion. We found using grips that only allow proper grip helped a lot. These are what we use: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPencil-Grip-Crossover-Ergonomic-Metallic%2Fdp%2FB001SN8HPI%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1291921411%26sr%3D8-2" rel="norewrite" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-Grip-Crossover-Ergonomic-Metallic/dp/B001SN8HPI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291921411&sr=8-2</a> . I've noticed the block crayons encouraging the fist grip. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The block crayons are great because they are super sturdy, I've even tried breaking one and it won't crack in half. They encourage crative drawing and different pictures than the norm as well as getting the kids to think outside the box on how to color with them (like sweeping strokes with the large side for sky). The sticks are great for regular coloring but, honestly, my kids choose crayolas over these because they can create more detail although they like the rich color and smooth coloring of the stockmars. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We've never used the crayon rocks but I've seen them in the store. They are much smaller than I thought, maybe half the length of my index finger (and I have small hands). They looked like they would be very difficult to color with and would be unusable after a few pictures worth of wear. The stockmars last basically forever, even if the sticks break you can 'glue' them back together by slightly melting the broken part and holding it together until it hardens, just hold it over the stove burner for a moment. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you have regular crayons laying around that are broken or are not getting used you can melt them in an old pan or in the oven then cool and cut into square or just use a mini muffin pan (you will probably not want to use the muffin pan for muffins after that so use an old one or one from a thrift store. This would give you an idea of how your kids like non-traditional crayons before you invest. You can even make rainbow layer ones, let the wax completely cool before adding a new layer, or swirl styles. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you're going to invest in the stockmar crayons be sure to check out all the options first. We went with the 16 of each in a tin and 8 of each in the supplementary colors in tins. The tins are really nice but if they fall off the table they go everywhere and the sticks will break if stepped on. We still have them in the tins now but I'm working on a crayon roll for them. If you're looking at the tin of 8 there is the regular assortment and the waldorf assortment. The waldorf assortment has lighter colors but many are very similar. The regular have dark colors and, I think, black. Many of the colors in any of the sets are more natural and it's difficult to tell the difference between the dark colors without wrappers on the blocks and with the names in german on the sticks (but the kids are learning their colors in german!).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We bought our first box on amazon because of the free shipping but they can be found for less else elsewhere. All our others after that first box are from a toy garden - check for coupons codes - but I've looked at waldorfsupplies.com as well. At ws.com they have discounts for large orders, they sell unboxed/untinned crayons for less if you're going to make a crayon roll to keep them in (they sell one but it's super pricy), and they sell individual colors if you want more than one of a few favorites. </p>

·
Registered
291 Posts
<p><span style="color:rgb(70,41,71);">We have at least a few tins of each in the Stockmar brand.  Both types get used in my house, depending on what my kids are wanting to draw.  The block crayons also double as little building blocks for my younger kids when they grow tired of coloring.  It's a gentle transitional activity built right in! :D<br><br>
I would definitely recommend getting both if you can.  Worth the cost in my book, since our crayons have all been in continuous rotation for over 4 years (some were even bought used) and they are hardly worse for wear.  I think only one has broken out of the 30 or so stick crayons we have.  They really do last forever.</span></p>

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
<p>We have both and dd (4yo) has always, even as a toddler, preferred the sticks.  Now, though, the blocks can be used for large scale shading which she is just now "getting".  So, I would get both. :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ferby (super ferby?) triangular pencils will help with an incorrect grip and have the been the favorite in this house, even more so than the stockmar crayons.</p>

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
<p>Huh.  I have no idea about the Waldorf arguments about it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I do know that while my older son had no problem with thin, regular crayons, my middle son is a "major motor" boy and just didn't develop those fine motor skills as well.  He took no real interest in drawing or coloring until I got him some chunky triangle crayons, and he went from scribbler to drawer/colorer in seconds.  I picked up a big box of "chubbi" crayons and will be using them for my youngest and any future kids in their kindergarten years.</p>

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
<p>both! we have stick, block, & 'rock' crayons. the only ones that never get used are the rock crayons.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kids totally prefer the stick crayons but the blocks are better for backgrounds and don't break.</p>

·
Registered
245 Posts
<p>My 3.5 year old likes the lyra short pencils and lyra crayons best (both are triangle shaped). He has stockmar block crayons and crayon rocks but he tends to only go for them if I am using them. I'd buy regular length lyra pencils and stick crayons.</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts