Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DS's eye, which has had a blocked tear duct since birth, has gotten more and more goopy in the last 3 weeks. We're cleaning it off several times a day and he often has a tear running down too. It is basically never clear of goop.  A week or so ago, it was red underneath for a while but that has seemed to clear up. I really don't want him to have surgery but I also want it to go away. We're continuing to see if massage will work and from reading an old post, I'm not doing it often or long enough when I do. So, starting tomorrow, I will do it longer and more often.  Any other tips or what to look for? I know some have had surgery and it was pretty much a non-event but general makes me nervous.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I saw someone mention massaging lower on the nose and not at the corner of the eye, does anyone have any info or illustrations?</p>

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
<p>My son also had blocked tear ducts. The massage never seemed to help. One opened spontaneously during a raging ear infection (apparently, this is semi-common - the pressure of an ear infection or sinus infection will pop it open). The other was still shut at 14 months.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't know if this is an option, but our pediatric opthomologist probed the tear duct without anesthetising him. (I believe she did use a topic anesthesia, but it has been a long time, and I'm not sure). It was an in-office procedure that lasted less than 5 minutes.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts