Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I recently made my first sweater (for DS) and I was so grateful that I didn't need to block it as my understanding is that you only need to block animal fibers (is that right??) </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So now I'm making my nephew a pair of baby socks and they're made of 100% baby alpaca, he's a big 6 month old and I'm making them in a 12 month size but they look teeeeeny tiny. Do I need to get over my fear and block these socks? </p>

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
<p>I don't think you need to block socks. The main purpose of blocking is to gently reshape a garment to improve the fit and appearance.  On the other hand, socks would be so easy and quick to block if you want to conquer your fear.  Just hand wash them, squeeze them out (or spin them in the washing machine), and lay them on a towel to dry.   :)</p>

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<p>Blocking small stuff is no big deal, I find (I had a fear of it too but made a couple of lace-knit scarves that needed to be blocked to show the pattern). I just get it wet, roll it in a towel to get most of the water out, then put it on a clean towel and pin it into shape with sewing pins, and let it dry. Not completely the way my knitting book says to do it, but it works. :)</p>

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
<p>I agree with the other ladies - blocking is really no big deal. I think you need to get over your fear! :) It makes a huge difference in how the garment looks, even when you use acrylics.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Like, Perdita, I usually wet the garment and roll it between towels to remove most of the moisture. Then, I lay a waterproof layer (an old, no longer used, crib wetpad) on the bed in my guest room, and cover it with several layers of dry towels. Then I lay the garment on the towels, gently pull and push it into shape, and pin it in place with some T-pins. When its dry, the edges will be cleaner and the stitches will be more even. Easy-peasy!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts