Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for creative block set add ons, etc. for my unit block loving 10 y/o dd! She loves to build-dollhouses, stables, etc. I would say that unit blocks have been one of her favorite toys, and as an early pre-teen the building has become a nice almost meditative experience for her. So, while she desires some more grown up toys/games, she also wants to add to her block play. Anyone else have an older kid who loves blocks and can suggest something to extend the building?

· Premium Member
12,443 Posts
Does she have any architectural blocks? I found some sites with 'sets' that you could build, but I think they sell generic ones too. Back-to-Basics toys had some funky looking ones too.

does she have any Kapla blocks? These are really great for more detailed kinds of building and need a bit more fine motor skills (the kind a 10 year old would have).

What about tree blocks?

· Registered
1,177 Posts
Personally, I would get that child into hand tools. Sketching, design, cutting, carving, sanding and using different methods of turning those "blocks" into something more. Don't get me wrong, block play is magnificent in itself, but she's at that age where maturity kicks in and it sounds like she's onto something that is a lifetime love. I would take her to hobby shops and see what trips her interest. As it sounds like you are, definitely nurture that creative bone.

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallori View Post
Personally, I would get that child into hand tools. Sketching, design, cutting, carving, sanding and using different methods of turning those "blocks" into something more. Don't get me wrong, block play is magnificent in itself, but she's at that age where maturity kicks in and it sounds like she's onto something that is a lifetime love. I would take her to hobby shops and see what trips her interest. As it sounds like you are, definitely nurture that creative bone.

Yes, sketching, modeling, all are favorites as well. We're thinking of a woodburning set as well this year.

The cathedral blocks at this site are really cool. www.westworkdesigns.com I'm curious to know if anyone has seen them?

· Registered
222 Posts

· Registered
8,153 Posts
OMG! My 8 yr old would kill to get those block sets you all linked to! She has a blast with some Kapla blocks I picked up on clearance at Target last year for xmas and she's forever building with the 2 yr old blocks. I never thought to introduce her to things like architecture and stuff, I always thought of it as child's play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.