Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all ya'll family blog site owners! I want to start one, but I am nervous! Does it make you feel weird that all your info is "out there?" Do you ever worry someone might be offended? How do you keep "on topic?"

I guess I have had enough experiences with making people mad, or alienating people that I am scared to write "out there" for all to see.

Tell me about your family or personal blogs?

Jenny

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
So you're thinking of making a blog that you'll let your family read? If that's the case, I'd just keep it very factual and related to things that your "audience" would be interested in. No need to get personal and out there with your writing.

I have a private blog that my family doesn't know about, other than my husband. No worries about them stumbling upon it, so I can write about whatever I need to. My husband doesn't read it either.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
I blog. I try to keep it current and update it almost every day.

I created it as a way for my family (extended) to keep up with our busy lives, since I HATE using a phone and rarely will call anyone and don't have much time for in person visits (with our busy lives).

So my topic is our lives!
I do keep it a bit general and don't give our last names or where we live, since it is public. I also blog about family (such as a recent post about my frustrations with my mother). But when I do, I leave names out (so that she is the only one who will know it is about her) and keep it "a person" or "people". So my blog may say something like, "I can't stand it when someone puts conditions on support", and I go on to vent about a situation where it happened, without mentioning names.

I am very careful to not blog (or post anywhere) anything that I would never want someone I know to read. Although I may hope they never see it, I am going to assume that they or someone they know may see it and I don't want it to blow up in my face.

My general blogs are about what my children and I have done that day. If we went on an outing or something happened. I love to include pictures to enhance the experience. Like I said, I mostly do it so my family (uncles, aunts, grandparents) can keep up with the growing children.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a great point because I get family mad at me all the time for like not sending photos and stuff. I think "Do you people know how many people want pictures from me?!?!?!?!?!!" Ack. I am getting inspired. I would really like to get that digital SLR I have been pining over but its like 1K so probably not this week.

Jenny

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just started a blog and I don't put everything on there. I want something to look back on in a couple of years, but I might give the link to family members to keep up with us. I do keep careful not to offend. I don't use specific examples from friends for instance. If somebody pisses me off, I might talk about something similar. I don't know who will eventually read my stuff. And I don't worry about staying on topic. It's supposed to be a family blog, but I just write about what I'm thinking about. I was just on jury duty and I wrote about that.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My blog started as a way to post pictures and keep family updated. It has grown in scope a bit and wanders off topic. I don't worry about offending family with my opinions or interests, but I am scrupulous to never, ever criticize family or my husband.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.