Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like everyone and her sister has a blog nowadays and I never ever read them, ever; who has time? But I hear some of you recommend them highly... Is there really money in blogging? Or do you do it to drive traffic to you site? Does that work? I'm dubious, convince me.

· Registered
4,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post
If you have a on your business website its AMAZING for SEO! It helps search engines index you better and then helps peopel find your website better.
:

Most of the traffic to my website came from my basic Wordpress blog.

· Registered
627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post
If you have a on your business website its AMAZING for SEO! It helps search engines index you better and then helps peopel find your website better.
The trick here is that you have to actually post interesting content on your blog, often.

I have a client who can't understand why her blog isn't getting her any traffic -- but she only has one post on it and it's nothing but keywords.

Do a search on your main keyword phrases, followed by the word blog, and you'll see some great examples of blogs in your industry.

For example:

baby sling blog
cloth diaper blog
product sellers blog

· Registered
4,012 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
The trick here is that you have to actually post interesting content on your blog, often.

I have a client who can't understand why her blog isn't getting her any traffic -- but she only has one post on it and it's nothing but keywords.

Do a search on your main keyword phrases, followed by the word blog, and you'll see some great examples of blogs in your industry.

For example:

baby sling blog
cloth diaper blog
product sellers blog
Most definitely! The more the better.

I'm awful at posting on mine, but I do try to do once a month (You really should a couple times a week at least) but since I have good relevant content it still helps me a TON. Most of my hits are through my blog.

· Registered
854 Posts
I get a lot of search engine traffic from my blog. It is amazing to see what people search for and how they end up at my site! The system that I use is not wordpress but runs like wordpress on steriods. Google loves it. I am a complete dummy when it comes to anything techie and I was able to set my blog up myself. There was no plugins I needed to install (not that i even know what a plugin is
. But I heard others having not so much fun with them.

· Registered
20,366 Posts
:

· Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my big idea has been to start a forum to drive "weird" search traffic to my sites, but I haven't gotten around to finishing it, and I know from experience that fori are hard to populate. Maybe I will do a blog, when I get time...

· Registered
4,012 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kokonutmama View Post
my big idea has been to start a forum to drive "weird" search traffic to my sites, but I haven't gotten around to finishing it, and I know from experience that fori are hard to populate. Maybe I will do a blog, when I get time...

A blog is much better. You can make it match your site completely and its easier to keep up and active. Going to a pretty empty forum wont generate much, but a semi active blog with do a ton!

· Registered
3,337 Posts
I put up a recipe about how to make homemade fig newtons (I know...what the heck does that have to do with toys....but, I just loved the recipe and wanted to share) and have gotten a bunch of hits back to my shop from that!

· Registered
2,114 Posts
I'm a member of the etsy cloth diaper street team, and we did a promotion a few months ago that happened to involved giving away free diapers...so I have a blog post in my archives titled FREE CLOTH DIAPERS starting today! And I tell ya what, I get so many hits on that thing
I actually had someone leave me a comment on it just today that they went to the site (the team blog) and hunted and couldn't find any free diapers. Um, well, it's a post from April...but I went back to the post and edited it to clarify anyway. But yeah, having certain keywords (like, apparently, FREE next to CLOTH DIAPER) will bring in traffic.

· Registered
3,303 Posts
I had a blog for a year or so before I started my business, and I just blog about our life and random kid and crafty topics. It is amazing how much my blog has helped me make sales. It drives traffic to my shop, and I also think the idea that people "know" me makes them likely to purchase from me. I think maybe 15-20% of my Etsy sales are from people who read my blog.

· Registered
627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns View Post
I also think the idea that people "know" me makes them likely to purchase from me. I think maybe 15-20% of my Etsy sales are from people who read my blog.
That's exactly it. People prefer to buy from those they know, like and trust.

· Registered
4,012 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mzfern View Post
So how can you tell that blog readers are buying more things for your shops? (Hope you don't mind my question as a non-WAHM
)
We are able to see entry pages on our web sites and can even set it up so that an entry page of a website will track sales etc. Since I offer a service and not a product I can't do that exactly, but I can still track my web stats to see what pages/areas of my website are attracting the most people, where they come from and keywords used to get to my web site. I use Google Analytics for this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.