Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dr office called yesterday and said my ds needed a blood draw to check for lead. I asked if they were sure, because he had one done when he was 12 months (he's almost 3 years). She said no, she didn't think he needed another one. Goody. Today they call back and said the insurance company is saying ds NEEDS another blood draw before he turns 3. They told the dr office that if I don't get it done they'll drop ds from the insurance (medicaid- he'd still get medicaid but he'd be on a different plan, which wouldn't allow him to see this dr whom I love).
:

So fine, I'll get it rechecked (the ONLY reason I'm agreeing so easily is because after he had the last blood check we moved into an older apartment. I have no idea about the lead in here, so I will agree to get the blood draw).

My question is how can I make this easier on ds? Is there anything I can give him before hand? I'm not a fan of drugs, but he is going to flip out
I'm going to wait as long as possible, because it's possible he's going to need some other tests done (possibly an MRI, which they would put him under for). If I can get the blood draw when he's under I would be so grateful, but I don't even know if they're going to do the MRI yet, he needs to go to U of M first.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Rescue remedy, a positive assured attitude (you), and Momma needs to be calm and in control.

I think that testing is a good idea. You have moved into an old apartment and you don't know if it has lead. This can only be a good thing.

good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I recently had my 17 month old's blood drawn, I talked about it a lot all morning. I told her exactly how things would go, and what we would do before, during, and after. I told her that it would hurt for a minute and then it would be all done. I showed her how the rubber band would feel on her arm, and we brought a little stuffed animal for her to hug. She was sad, and it hurt, but she was not surprised by anything. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts