Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My almost 5 month old has started to show streaks of blood in her diaper. It started day before yesterday, no show yesterday and today quite a bit more than just streaks. My husband did a search on the internet and it seems like it could be an allergy to milk, but it seems strange that it would just start happening. She is almost 5 months old and only has my milk. I am vegetarian, and my dairy consumption is the same it has always been - not too much, not too little. She does not have fever, no stomach pains - she is nursing regularly and as happy and calm as ever so we haven't rushed her to the emergency room, but we are keeping an eye on it. We are in the Washington DC area and soon to be in NYC on vacation from Italy where we live so we are far away from our regular doctor. If anyone has ever experienced this problem with their babies, I would appreciate hearing from you and if anyone has a recommendation for a pediatrician we can visit in either DC or NYC in the upper west side neighborhood, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Is it dark (brownish) colored or bright red?

I had blood in my breast milk from mastitis and it caused my baby to have brown spit up and brown in her stool.

If your baby has bright red, I think it is from her as opposed to the situation I explained above.

I don't have a doctor recommendation as I am not from that area. I hope you are able to resolve the situation. And have a safe trip home!

·
Registered
454 Posts
It could be that the dairy in the US is bothering the baby because of the way it's pastueurized and the fact that most commercial dairy contains boving growth hormone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I have no nipple injuries. I also have been using only organic milk while we have been here which I assumed had no growth hormones in them. Does anyone know what else could be causing this? The blood is not dark red, but bright red.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
My DD started having bright red streaks of blood in her stool at 3 months old. It turned out to be a dairy intolerance with her, although really any food intolerance is a symptom of gut problems. I had recently started consuming more dairy than normal (like maybe 1-1/2 cups a day total), but I'd had dairy all long and she hadn't had any obvious reactions.

She did not have any behavioral changes and I never took her to the doctor. I probably would have but when I called the pediatrician's office to find out if they could test a stool sample and see if allergies were causing the blood (I'd heard that there was a test that could be done), they advised me to take her to the ER were they would do "an X-ray and lots of other tests". No thank you--why do a bunch of possibly invasive and risky, not to mention traumatic, tests before ruling out something as simple and common as food allergies.

Anyhow, DD's bloody poop went away after 4-6 weeks with no dairy. I tried re-introducing goat's milk yogurt a couple of months ago but she reacted again with bloody poop.

Hopefully this makes sense...here are a couple of links to threads I started when I was first dealing with this whole issue (they also discuss several possible causes of blood in stool). If you do think it is a dairy allergy, I would highly recommend checking out the "Healing the Gut Tribe" thread and cheat sheet (stickied) on this forum--as I said before, food intolerances are signs of overall gut problems.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=429427
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=431360
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=425805

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I've always thought that bright red was from anal fissures. If it was internal, it would be very dark or black.

When Dd1 was 20 days old, her stool was black. My ped said to take her to the ER (it was a Sunday) & she did in fact have lots of blood in her stool.....from my nipples

Dairy wouldn't be my first thought, I would thikn something around her bum. Raw milk is easier to digest, have you ever thought of switching to that? Or goat's milk?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.