Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that on a penis (that is intact), there are some blood vessels that run down the shaft into the foreskin area. It appears that circumcision would cut the vessels, and thus blood would no longer be able to "flow" properly. Are "alternate" connections created? What effect does that have on the function of the penis?

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I have thought the same thing from time to time. I have seen that with my dh those vessel appear to just dead end but I am assuming that they must make new connections so that the blood can drain.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Some of the blood vessels that run up the shaft toward the glans end at the coronal sulcus, while others dive down and provide part of the blood supply to the glans. The former would not be affected by amputation of the foreskin, but in the latter case the vessels are truncated by circumcision, and blood supply to the glans would be disrupted. The resulting reduction in blood flow to the glans is one of the hypotheses put forward for the increased incidence of meatal stenosis in circumcised males (other than the obvious fact that the urinary opening is exposed to chemical and mechanical irritation). I.e. the tissue is less well supplied with blood, so any irritation of the meatal opening is going to heal less readily, and may more easily progress to ulceration and subsequent scarring.<br><br>
Gillian

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Also, if I'm not mistaken because I think it was mention that all the blood that needs to go another way fills up in the scar making the scar be really senstive .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts