Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Yesterday my son (almost 3 yrs old) was at the ped office and he ordered a whole round of blood, urine and stool tests. My son got hysterical just when the ped was weighing and examining him, so hysterical that the doctor stopped the examination as my son was SCREAMIMG and fighting him
. He screams so hard he starts gagging and choking. He does this with haircuts too.

How can I get his blood work done in the least traumatic way? I do not want him restrained but there is no way he with let them near him. Should I be there to comfort him or should I leave the room so he does blame me for letting them hurt him? Even though I know it does not take long my heart breaks to think of my son being so scared and not knowing why people are doing things to him
: .

So.....any moms that have been there. or have any ideas, I would greatly appreciate the input.

Also, my son is still in diapers so how do we go about the stool and urine samples?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I haven't found any way of getting around holding my son down during blood work. I can't count how many times we've had it done and I've had to hold him down everytime. I'm always right there trying to talk to him and comfort him though.

Also, stool and urine are both pretty easy. Urine is especially easier on a boy.
What I've found works best is to tape the bag on and then put sweatpants or something loose on without a diaper. Everytime I've tried to do it with a diaper I never end up getting any urine in the bag. Also, with stool they typically give you everything you need & we've always gotten something to scrape it off with.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Urine and stool should be easy. Just take the stool out of his diaper. Urine they should provide you with a bag you attach to him (the penis goes inside)...get extras in case you have a leak. I've always had good luck with the urine collection.

Blood. It's just not ever nice. There have been times early on when I could have my mother with me and I had her go in and hold him down. I've also had hubby hold him while I try to comfort him (never works for me but I try). I've had to hold him down some on my own. I've never felt it affected his feelings about me but I do remember worrying about that early on--in fact I think once I sent a friend in with him. But now I go in too. It is awful but it is over quick, you have to remind yourself that it is necessary and some kids go through way worse things, and I imagine that any kid has to be held still for this so it isn't your son alone.
My suggestion is find out who is best at drawing blood from young, hysterical kids. Come when that person is working and ask for them. Also, you might be able to get some EMLA cream--doesn't help with fear and anticipation but I do think it hurts less. My son (whose had a lot of blood but only one draw with EMLA) seemed pleasantly surprised. It made a difference. You need the cream and something to cover the area with as it is important not to get it on the child otherwise (especially mouth and similar spots so hands). You need it wiped off too but the lab should know that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.