Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and other things you never thought you'd be perfectly comfortable talking about.
Anyhow, dh called me at work this morning and told me ds (17 months) had blood and mucus in his poop. So he called our ped and he went to see her.
He mentioned that we had been in Yosemite and our ped thinks it's a bacteria he picked up from there somewhere. She prescribed an antibiotic and sent him to get some stool samples.
Well how can she prescribe something when she doesn't even know what's wrong with him? I think we should wait on the antibiotics until we get the lab results back.
Has anyone else had experience with this? I would love some input.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I don't have experience in this, but I'm wondering if the ped prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic on the presumption that a parasite was causing the problem, and that it would be confirmed by the stool sample.

I suppose if it were my child I would factor in how my child was doing, how long the bloody stools had been going on and my comfort/worry level before automatically going on the antibiotics. When needed, they truly are lifesaving - but overused, as I'm sure you know. Did you child drink stream water while in Yosemite? How long ago were you there, and for how long? Are any of the rest of you exhibiting symptoms of parasites? Any other concerns with your child? As I'm writing this, I'm thinking "why doesn't the dr. want to see my child? Isn't there anything else they might be looking for?"

here's support for you, mama -

Barbara

What a worry!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.