Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking a birth formula similar to the 5w. I just read on another message board that blue cohosh is not safe and can cause hemmoraging, and can actually cause abortion. Yikes!!
I'm been taking it for 3 weeks now. It is actually supposed to prevent hemmoraging and not go past your due date. But the first ingredient is blue cohosh.
After reading that, now I'm really scared. Anyone know about all this?? I assumed that the 5w and other birth formulas were safe.

· Registered
16,471 Posts
I have heard both things, and I'm not an expert on this at all. I ended up taking a tincture called Labor Ease made of blue/black cohash and some other things. It was to end my prodromal labor torture and kick me into real labor. I was told it would work after 3 days if taken as directed, if my body was ripe for labor. It would turn the "false" cx into real ones and make them more efficient. If I was not ripe for labor yet it would stop or slow the prodroma labor.

During that same 3 days (I was already dilated to 3-4 and 80% effaced) I also had sex using EPO as the lubricant, and on the third day I had the MW strip my membranes. She was born on the third day after taking it. My cx suddenly kicked into gear and became intense and there was no doubt it was the real thing.

I would consult with your mw about it, personally. My baby has some health issues that are most likely inherited from my dh (he had the same issues) but I often wonder if all the terbutaline from the pregnancy, plus this tincture might have made her problems worse. I have no way of knowing for sure. I wish I had just waited though. She would have been born eventually no matter what I did or didn't do.

· Registered
5,511 Posts
so if it is a 5 week formula and you have been taking it from 35 weeks and it has been 3 weeks then you are due anyway-- yes I would not recommend to someone before 35-36 weeks to take the formula because it could produce or enhance preterm labor. but as far as creating a hemorrhage- no it does not do that... the concept of 5 week formulas was started before there were vitamin supplements and they are usually a collection of toning and nourishing herbs that help to prevent hemorrhage and to help the uterus be prepared for labor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.