Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you have tried blue cohosh to start labor. I'm 2 weeks past my EDD and getting very anxious.<br><br>
I talked to my midwife this morning about castor oil (which she doesn't recommend I try) and she brought up blue cohosh.<br><br>
Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I didn't use it to get labor started, but I did use it once labor began.<br>
My doula made me a tea of blue cohosh, ladys mantle, valerian, and perhaps a few others I forgot. I think the recipe is out of Susan Weeds book.<br>
I started drinking it once I had signs of labor. The tea was intended to keep labor moving smoothly and keep me relaxed.<br>
I used this tea, as well as magnet therapy, shiatsu and massage, and a birthing tub...<br>
My labor went very smoothly.<br>
Actually, once I went through "transition" active labor was only about an hour w/ just 28 minutes of pushing.<br>
Perhaps the tea made a difference. I'm sure it did somewhat.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bebe luna!<br><br>
My midwife also made blue cohosh tea for me while I was in labor with my first to give me a little boost, I was soooo tired of pushing, I think it made a difference also.<br><br>
So, I'm hoping this gives my body a little 'push' to get this baby rollin'!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Here is the info I have on hand.<br><br>
Quote:<br>
Bringing on Birth<br>
Blue cohosh, black cohosh, and motherwort are good and safe herbs to when it is time for birth, either because labor has begun or a health professional has determined that it is time. (They should not be used earlier in the pregnancy since they could cause a miscarriage.)<br><br>
In the last week of pregnancy, black cohosh can help prepare for labor or bring on an overdue labor. It has been used this way by aboriginal healers for years. It stimulates contractions while relaxing tension in the uterine muscles, easing the pain of labor. Blue cohosh also helps to bring on contractions when labor is prolonged or so overdue that it has become risky. Motherwort prepares the uterus for labor and brings on contractions, and eases the birth.<br><br>
Cramp bark and black haw are also useful during labor. Black haw is a uterine tonic. It quiets uterine muscles and eases the tension that comes with contractions. Cramp bark works by relaxing uterine muscles. Valerian and chamomile flowers can also help to relieve excess spasms.<br><br>
End Quote

1 - 5 of 5 Posts