Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to have a homebirth or birthing center birth for my next child, but I am having trouble finding options that are in the BC/BS network. I think Evelyn will be covered -- anyone know of any others?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Special Beginnings is in-network.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It might vary depending on the plan, but BCBS did not pay Evelyn for my birth. I do think they covered some of the prenatal stuff though.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It depends on the plan. I have CareFirst and dd2's birth with a CPM was partially covered at out-of-network. Our plans changed and we now have no out-of-network benefits at all, plus a super high deductible anyways -- so we just paid out-of-pocket for dd3's birth.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have Carefirst PPO and am planning a homebirth. Evelyn is covered in-network, but her birth assistant isn't. SB is in-network. Joey and cpms are oon, and I was told there was an extra $1000 deductible (on top of my regular oon deductible). Because of that, I'm just paying out of pocket for my cpm.

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
bcbs paid for my cpm birth in 2007

·
Registered
119 Posts
Birthcare in Alexandria takes Carefirst BC/BS.

·
Registered
810 Posts
to find out what exactly YOUR bc/bs plan covers, call the m/w you are interested in and ask them for their BC/BS code. then call bc/bs customer service that is either on your card or g oonline and find it. then you will talk to a cs rep and they will be able to tell you either with the m/w name or with their code whether they will cover the birth and how much of it will be covered, be sure to ask if you need a refferal. i have bc/bs carefirst and they covered evelyn, but not her birth assitant, but i needed a ref from my pcp.<br>
but, i know someone from LLL who had bc/bs through her work and they didn't cover evelyn. each plan is negiated by your work with bc/bs, so one employer will have hb in their plans, and others won't. i have heard of people lobbying at their employers to have hb covered. it just wasn't something the employer thought of , they weren't trying to make it difficult for the person.<br>
also- write down somewhere when you talk to a cs rep, cause i have often had to call back and argue with them about stuff they claimed they covered and then later refused. but they record all the calls, so if you know when they tell you what they cover they can go back and review it and then they have to honor it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts