Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH & his dad were out riding the 4-wheelers out back the other day (we have 60 acres here), and came across a HUGE blueberry patch! There is so many there, we can't pick them all! I bet we picked 3 lbs. yesterday alone. The girls & I will go pick more this morning as well. They are perfectly ripe, and we got to collect what we can before the bears get them or they fall off.

So, now I'll need to find some good recipes! I made homemade blueberry pancakes last night, and will make muffins today. What other TF recipes would be good??

· Premium Member
14,037 Posts
The first thing to do would be to freeze as many as you have space for. Without washing them, lay them on a sheet pan, pop them in the freezer for a few hours, then pull them out and bag them up. They will keep beautifully in the freezer for a year. To use them, just scoop out however much you need and add them to your recipe still frozen.

To use them up, I add them to egg custard, make jam, blueberry baked goods (bread, muffins, cake, etc.), dry them, add them to salads, fruit salad, make syrup, compote, etc. Right now DH gets about 1/2 a cup of blueberries in his lunch every day. That's his summer-time treat. So long as I can get them in the farmer's market, he gets blueberries in his lunch (his fave). We actually go through about a quart of berries a week, and it's just the 2 of us.

· Premium Member
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Lucky you! Where ever you are we are there! Blueberry picking at mommyofmanys house!
: C'mon over!! I'd be excited to have you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
The first thing to do would be to freeze as many as you have space for. Without washing them, lay them on a sheet pan, pop them in the freezer for a few hours, then pull them out and bag them up. They will keep beautifully in the freezer for a year. To use them, just scoop out however much you need and add them to your recipe still frozen.

To use them up, I add them to egg custard, make jam, blueberry baked goods (bread, muffins, cake, etc.), dry them, add them to salads, fruit salad, make syrup, compote, etc. Right now DH gets about 1/2 a cup of blueberries in his lunch every day. That's his summer-time treat. So long as I can get them in the farmer's market, he gets blueberries in his lunch (his fave). We actually go through about a quart of berries a week, and it's just the 2 of us.
Thanks!! I will definitely do that for freezing them. I bet I have over 5 lbs. now, counting what we picked this morning, and there's still a TON out there!

DH LOVES them too
: .

· Registered
2,392 Posts
woohoo! That is so great - I am very jealous! I have planted over a dozen plants (so far lol) in our yard but they aren't producing much yet. We LOVE blueberries
:

I agree with Cristeen's suggestions. We do lots of frozen and syrup - besides gorging ourselves with the fresh ones on everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.